The Samford Bulldogs (7-15, 3-6 SoCon), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, will try to get back in the win column when they welcome the VMI Keydets (7-13, 2-7 SoCon) to Pete Hanna Center. Samford opened as a 9-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 147 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, January 29, 2018.
VMI Keydets at Samford Bulldogs Free Preview
The Keydets edged the Chattanooga Mocs in their last contest, 70-69. With 17 points and 10 rebounds, VMI’s Garrett Gilkeson put together a good performance. The Keydets held the Mocs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 13.3 (below their season average of 26.2) and had a turnover percentage of 17.8 (better than their season average of 20.1).
In the Bulldogs last matchup, they were topped by the UNCG Spartans, 98-82. Josh Sharkey was the games leading scorer with 25 points on 4-for-5 shooting. UNCG had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 34.1). Samford, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 10.2 (better than their season average of 17.8).
Samford appears to have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Bulldogs rank 55th in effective field goal percentage (0.545), while VMI ranks 222nd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.511).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. VMI games have finished under 69.2 percent of the time, while 62.5 percent of games featuring Samford have gone over. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (7-13 for VMI; 7-15 for Samford), but the Keydets have the advantage against the spread (ATS). VMI is 7-6 ATS, while the Bulldogs are 6-10.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Bulldogs won all three meetings last season. In the last contest, Samford won 79-61. Samford’s 0.302 free throw rate was their biggest strength over VMI, who had a mark of 0.162.
VMI Keydets at Samford Bulldogs Free Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Samford, ATS Winner – VMI, O/U – Over
- The Keydets rank 210th in rebounds per game (33.9) while the Bulldogs rank 271st (30.0).
- Samford ranks 25th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while VMI ranks 78th (3.1).
- On the road, VMI is 4-4 ATS with 5 unders and 3 overs.
- At home, Samford is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- VMI averages 22.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 119th in the NCAA. Samford ranks 270th in three pointers allowed per game (26.4).
- The Bulldogs rank 48th in assists per game (16.0) while the Keydets rank 199th (12.7).
- Samford ranks 68th in steals per game (7.0) while VMI ranks 157th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Samford is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, VMI is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Bulldogs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.8, up from 4.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Keydets have scored an average of 63.6 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (4.3 below their season average).