The VMI Keydets (5-9, 0-3 SoCon) will try to put an end to the seven-game winning streak of East Tennessee State when they travel to Freedom Hall Civic Center to take on the Buccaneers (13-4, 4-0 SoCon). Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
VMI Keydets at East Tennessee State Buccaneers Odds Preview
In the Keydets last contest, they lost a close one to the UNCG Spartans, 63-61. With 19 points on 6-for-9 shooting, Bubba Parham was the top scorer from either team. UNCG held the Keydets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 26.3). VMI, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.234).
The Buccaneers will look to keep it rolling after topping the UNCG Spartans in their last outing, 68-58. East Tennessee State’s Desonta Bradford had a solid performance, putting up 12 points and nine rebounds. The Buccaneers had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.370 (above their season average of 0.246) and held the Spartans to an effective field goal percentage of 0.389 (below their season average of 0.532).
The productive offense of East Tennessee State will square off against the mid-tier defense of VMI. The Buccaneers currently rank 83rd in offensive efficiency, while the Keydets are 211th in defensive efficiency. The Buccaneers should have the edge on that end of the court. It could also be an error-filled game for the offense of the Keydets, which ranks 329th in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.5 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Buccaneers, which forces the 31st-most turnovers in the nation (23.0 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Buccaneers won both matchups played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, East Tennessee State won 81-71. East Tennessee State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.651 vs. 0.417). VMI, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (21-27; 77.8 percent).
VMI Keydets at East Tennessee State Buccaneers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – East Tennessee State, ATS Winner – East Tennessee State, O/U – Over
- The Buccaneers rank 116th in rebounds per game (36.9) while the Keydets rank 133rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- East Tennessee State averages 8.4 steals per game, which ranks 22nd in the NCAA. VMI ranks 136th in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- The Buccaneers rank 47th in assists allowed per game (11.6) while the Keydets rank 92nd (12.8).
- VMI averages 21.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 147th in the NCAA. East Tennessee State ranks 169th in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- The Buccaneers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 17.0, up from 10.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Keydets have scored an average of 65.2 points per game (1.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.8 points per game (1.2 above their season average).