The 13th-ranked Virginia Tech Hokies (8-1) meet the Washington Huskies (7-3) at Boardwalk Hall. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 15, 2018, and can be seen on ESPNU.
Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Washington Huskies Betting Odds
Both teams had no trouble getting past their last opponent. The Huskies defeated the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 73-55, while the Hokies beat the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs 87-59.
Virginia Tech played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.5 and a turnover percentage of 21.9. Gardner-Webb put up marks of 15.4 and 34.8, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Washington dominated every stat category in their game. They had a turnover percentage of 9.8 and an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6. Western Kentucky put up marks of 21.0 and 20.6, respectively, for those same stats. David Crisp led the way for Washington, finishing with 13 points and seven assists. Meanwhile, Virginia Tech rallied around Nickeil Alexander-Walker, who had 21 points, six rebounds and five assists.
The Hokies won the lone contest between these two teams last season, 103-79. Virginia Tech did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (28-36; 77.8 percent). Washington, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.8 vs. 19.0).
Jaylen Nowell has taken his game to another level as of late for Washington, averaging 0 points over the last five games.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the nation’s slowest-paced teams face off. Washington ranks 288th in possessions per game (70.0) and Virginia Tech is 286th (69.5) since the 2017-18 season. Additionally, the sharp-shooting offense of the Hokies ranks second in effective field goal percentage (0.584), while the Huskies have been 39th-best in the NCAA at effective field goal percentage allowed (0.495).
Virginia Tech vs. Washington Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Washington, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2017-Present):
- Virginia Tech ranks seventh in assists per game (16.8) while Washington ranks 233rd (11.6).
- The Hokies rank 12th in rebounds allowed per game (33.4) while the Huskies rank 127th (35.1).
- Virginia Tech averages 6.4 steals per game, which ranks 18th in the country. Washington ranks 76th in steals allowed per game (6.0).
- The Huskies rank 50th in three pointers allowed per game (20.5) while the Hokies rank 225th (25.4).
- Washington ranks third in blocks per game (5.5) while Virginia Tech ranks 126th (2.4).