The No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers (23-1, 12-0 ACC) put their 15-game winning streak on the line when they challenge the Virginia Tech Hokies (17-7, 6-5 ACC) at John Paul Jones Arena. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 10, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Virginia Tech Hokies at Virginia Cavaliers ATS Preview
In the Hokies last matchup, they defeated the North Carolina State Wolfpack, 85-75. Justin Robinson was the games leading scorer with 32 points on 11-for-17 shooting. Virginia Tech played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.308 (above their season average of 0.279) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.663 (above their season average of 0.592). For those same stats, North Carolina State put up marks of 0.177 and 0.516, respectively.
The Cavaliers will look to keep it rolling after topping the Florida State Seminoles in their last outing, 59-55. With 17 points on 5-for-11 shooting, Devon Hall was the top scorer from either team. Virginia’s 9.2 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Florida State, who had a mark of 17.1. The Cavaliers mark was better than their season average of 13.3.
Virginia Tech could have a tough time creating turnovers. Virginia ranks 11th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.9 percent), while Virginia Tech forces the 223rd-most turnovers (18.4 percent). Moreover, the Hokies rank 18th in offensive efficiency (116.6), while the Cavaliers rank second in defensive efficiency (85.8).
Robinson has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Virginia Tech, averaging 17.8 points and 6.2 assists per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Cavaliers won 78-52. Virginia had a much better turnover percentage (8.5 vs. 21.9). Virginia Tech, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.340 vs. 0.098). Hall had a stellar game, with 12 points and seven rebounds.
Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Virginia Cavaliers Betting Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Virginia, ATS Winner – Virginia, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (31.2) while the Hokies rank 120th (34.2).
- Virginia ranks 69th in blocks per game (4.0) while Virginia Tech ranks 141st in blocks allowed per game (3.8).
- Virginia ranks 54th in three pointers allowed per game (19.7) while Virginia Tech ranks 241st (24.3).
- The Cavaliers rank first in assists allowed per game (8.4) while the Hokies rank 155th (13.8).
- Virginia ranks 50th in steals per game (7.3) while Virginia Tech ranks 149th (5.8).
- The Cavaliers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.2, down from 15.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hokies have scored an average of 81.0 points per game (3.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.6 points per game (2.9 above their season average).