The Louisville Cardinals (12-4, 2-1 ACC) welcome the Virginia Tech Hokies (13-4, 2-2 ACC) to KFC Yum! Center as they try to prolong their six-game home winning streak. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018.
Virginia Tech Hokies at Louisville Cardinals Free Preview
The last time the Hokies played, they defeated the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, 83-75. Ahmed Hill was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 7-for-12 shooting. Virginia Tech played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.228 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.614 (above their season average of 0.599). Wake Forest was 0.057 and 0.507, respectively, for those same stats.
The Cardinals hope to maintain momentum after topping the No. 23 Florida State Seminoles in their last game, 73-69. With 16 points on 5-for-12 shooting, Deng Adel was Louisville’s leading scorer. Louisville played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 10.2 (better than their season average of 14.9) and a free throw rate of 0.172 (matching their season average). Florida State was 16.5 and 0.138, respectively, for those same stats.
Virginia Tech could struggle to create turnovers. Louisville ranks 66th in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.1 percent), while Virginia Tech forces the 97th-fewest turnovers (18.1 percent). Also, the 19th-ranked offense of the Hokies (offensive efficiency of 118.1) will square off against the 26th-ranked defense of the Cardinals (defensive efficiency of 93.4).
Raymond Spalding has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Louisville, averaging 13.2 points, 9.4 rebounds, 1.6 steals and 1.2 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Cardinals won the lone contest played against each other last season, 94-90. The Cardinals turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Hokies. Louisville had a rate of 3.9, while Virginia Tech posted a mark of 13.6.
Virginia Tech Hokies at Louisville Cardinals Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Louisville, ATS Winner – Louisville, O/U – Over
- The Hokies rank 50th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while the Cardinals rank 89th (6.3).
- Louisville averages 21.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 157th in the NCAA. Virginia Tech ranks 176th in three pointers allowed per game (23.4).
- Virginia Tech ranks 16th in assists per game (17.8) while Louisville ranks 157th (13.2).
- The Cardinals rank 28th in rebounds per game (40.3) while the Hokies rank 162nd (35.5).
- Louisville ranks second in blocks per game (7.7) while Virginia Tech ranks 132nd (2.9).
- The Cardinals average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, down from 10.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hokies have scored an average of 69.6 points per game (16.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.4 points per game (1.3 below their season average).