The Virginia Tech Hokies (9-1) clash against the No. 8 Kentucky Wildcats (8-1) look to continue their winning streaks when they square off at Rupp Arena. The Hokies have won seven games in a row, while the Wildcats are on a six-game winning streak. Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Virginia Tech Hokies at Kentucky Wildcats ATS Preview
The last time the Hokies played, they had no trouble getting past the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks, 93-40. With 16 points and eight rebounds, Nickeil Alexander-Walker had a good game for Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech played a flawless game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.664 (above their season average of 0.639) and a turnover percentage of 8.0 (better than their season average of 16.2). For those same stats, Maryland Eastern Shore recorded marks of 0.315 and 15.9, respectively.
The Wildcats come in on a high note after beating the Monmouth Hawks in their last contest, 93-76. Kentucky was lifted by Hamidou Diallo, who was the games high scorer with 23 points on 8-for-13 shooting. Kentucky played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.414 (above their season average of 0.263) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.595 (above their season average of 0.538). For those same stats, Monmouth was 0.200 and 0.443, respectively.
Points could be at a premium as a pair of the NCAA’s best defenses clash. Kentucky ranks 48th in defensive efficiency (96.6) and Virginia Tech is 42nd (104.1) since last season. Moreover, the Hokies have been among the nation’s best at getting to the line, ranking second in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.320). The Wildcats, however, rank 20th in opponents FTA rate (0.216).
Virginia Tech Hokies at Kentucky Wildcats ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Virginia Tech, ATS Winner – Virginia Tech, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Wildcats rank 22nd in rebounds per game (40.0) while the Hokies rank 73rd (33.6).
- Virginia Tech ranks 138th in steals per game (4.4) while Kentucky ranks 159th in steals allowed per game (5.2).
- Virginia Tech ranks 134th in three pointers attempted per game (21.9) while Kentucky ranks 279th (18.6).
- The Hokies rank third in assists per game (16.2) while the Wildcats rank 121st in assists allowed per game (11.7).
- Kentucky ranks fourth in blocks per game (5.5) while Virginia Tech ranks 107th (2.9).