Expect a shootout when the No. 12 Duke Blue Devils (20-5, 8-4 ACC) and the Virginia Tech Hokies (18-7, 7-5 ACC) clash at Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke is a 10.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 163.5 points. Action begins at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 14, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Virginia Tech Hokies vs. Duke Blue Devils ATS Preview
The Hokies won a close one over the No. 2 Virginia Cavaliers in their last game, 61-60. Justin Robinson was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 7-for-17 shooting. The Hokies held the Cavaliers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.434 (below their season average of 0.534). The Cavaliers had a free throw rate of 0.115 (below their season average of 0.186).
In the Blue Devils last game, they beat the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 80-69. Duke received a boost from Wendell Carter Jr. who put up 19 points and 10 rebounds. Duke played a nearly flawless game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.356 (above their season average of 0.247) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.500 (below their season average of 0.573). Georgia Tech was 0.273 and 0.386, respectively, for those same stats.
This matchup figures to be a high-scoring affair as two of the nations top offenses go head-to-head. Duke ranks second with 123.6 points per 100 possessions and Virginia Tech is 19th (116.1).
Both of these teams tend to go over the projected point total. Games including Virginia Tech have finished over 65.0 percent of the time, while 69.6 percent of Duke games have gone over. The Blue Devils have the superior straight up (SU) record (20-5 vs. 18-7) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (14-9 vs. 13-8).
Robinson has been on fire over the last five games for Virginia Tech, averaging 19.0 points, 5.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Hokies won the lone game played against each other last season, 89-75. The Hokies played a nearly perfect game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.293 and a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.621. The Blue Devils put up marks of 0.209 and 0.455, respectively, for those same stats.
Virginia Tech Hokies at Duke Blue Devils Free Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Duke, ATS Winner – Duke, O/U – Over
- The Hokies average 23.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 112th in the NCAA. The Blue Devils rank 229th in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- Duke ranks 63rd in steals per game (7.1) while Virginia Tech ranks 65th in steals allowed per game (5.6).
- Virginia Tech is 6-4 ATS on the road, while Duke is 6-4 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 6 of the Blue Devils 10 home games, while 7 of the Hokies 10 road games have gone over.
- Duke ranks second in rebounds per game (42.6) while Virginia Tech ranks 222nd (34.0).
- The Blue Devils rank 14th in blocks per game (5.5) while the Hokies rank 186th (2.4).
- Duke ranks fifth in assists per game (18.4) while Virginia Tech ranks 153rd in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- Duke is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Virginia Tech is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Blue Devils average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.6, down from 16.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hokies have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (6.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (1.6 above their season average).