A six-game road winning streak hangs in the balance for the No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers (23-2, 12-1 ACC) when they go head-to-head against the Miami Hurricanes (18-6, 7-5 ACC) at Watsco Center. Virginia is a 5.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 118 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
Virginia Cavaliers at Miami Hurricanes ATS Preview
In the Cavaliers last contest, they lost a tough one against the Virginia Tech Hokies, 61-60. Virginia’s Ty Jerome put together a solid performance, finishing with 11 points and eight rebounds. Virginia Tech held the Cavaliers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.434 (below their season average of 0.534). Virginia, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 5.8 (better than their season average of 13.1).
The Hurricanes are trying to rebound after their 72-70 loss to the Boston College Eagles in their last contest. Dejan Vasiljevic led Miami in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Boston College did a great job of making free throws (15-19; 78.9 percent). Miami, meanwhile, held the Eagles to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.4 (below their season average of 29.4).
Baskets could be hard to come by as two of the nations best defenses square off. Miami currently ranks 25th in defensive efficiency (96.2) and Virginia is second (86.5). Moreover, the Cavaliers, who rank 330th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.183), will clash against the Hurricanes, who rank 57th in opponents FTA rate (0.199).
Of Virginia’s 22 games with betting action, 17 have finished under the projected point total, while 10 of Miami’s 19 games have finished over the projected point total. The Cavaliers come into this game with a substantial advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 23-2 SU and 16-6 ATS, while the Hurricanes are 18-6 SU and 8-10-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year, after the Hurricanes won the only contest last season, 54-48. Converting at the free throw line was one of Miami’s biggest advantages. They were 20-22 (90.9 percent), while the Cavaliers were just 13-20 (65.0 percent).
Virginia Cavaliers at Miami Hurricanes Odds Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Virginia, ATS Winner – Virginia, O/U – Under
- The Cavaliers rank 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Hurricanes rank 92nd (3.3).
- Virginia is 9-1 ATS on the road with 9 unders and 1 over.
- At home, Miami is 1-4 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- Miami ranks 118th in rebounds per game (36.3) while Virginia ranks 261st (32.6).
- The Cavaliers rank third in steals allowed per game (3.9) while the Hurricanes rank 86th (5.8).
- Virginia ranks first in assists allowed per game (8.6) while Miami ranks 68th (12.1).
- Miami is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Virginia is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Hurricanes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 63.4 points per game (4.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 57.4 points per game (4.6 above their season average).