The No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers (25-2, 14-1 ACC) will travel to Petersen Events Center to meet the Pittsburgh Panthers (8-21, 0-16 ACC) in their home finale. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Virginia Cavaliers at Pittsburgh Panthers Odds Preview
In the Cavaliers last contest, they beat the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, 65-54. Ty Jerome led Virginia in scoring with 18 points on 5-for-9 shooting. Virginia dominated every stat category in the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.250 (above their season average of 0.183) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 27.3). Georgia Tech was 0.118 and 24.1, respectively, for those same stats.
The Panthers are hoping for a better outcome after their 63-57 loss to the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in their last contest. Marcus Carr led Pittsburgh in scoring with 11 points on 4-for-12 shooting. Wake Forest did a terrific job of making free throws (20-23; 87.0 percent). Pittsburgh, on the other hand, held the Demon Deacons to an effective field goal percentage of 0.430 (below their season average of 0.514).
The inefficient offense of Pittsburgh (337th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 95.1) will square off against the stingy defense of Virginia (second in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 87.0). The Cavaliers should have the edge on that end of the court. Also, the Cavaliers rank seventh in turnover percentage (14.6 percent), while the Panthers rank 321st in opponents turnover percentage (16.0 percent).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Cavaliers won two out of three contests played against each other last season. In the last matchup, Virginia won 75-63. The Cavaliers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.2 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.602. For those same stats, the Panthers were 15.4 and 0.511, respectively.
Virginia Cavaliers at Pittsburgh Panthers Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Pittsburgh, ATS Winner – Pittsburgh, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 68th in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while the Cavaliers rank 227th (19.6).
- Virginia ranks 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Pittsburgh ranks 158th (4.0).
- Virginia ranks first in assists allowed per game (8.6) while Pittsburgh ranks 235th (15.3).
- The Cavaliers rank 19th in rebounds allowed per game (30.9) while the Panthers rank 239th (37.2).
- Virginia ranks third in steals allowed per game (4.0) while Pittsburgh ranks 175th (7.0).
- The Panthers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 20.0, up from 9.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cavaliers have scored an average of 60.4 points per game (7.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 52.8 points per game (0.1 above their season average).