The No. 1 Villanova Wildcats (9-0) are off to a hot start and will try to stay unbeaten when they square off with the Temple Owls (6-2) at Liacouras Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 147 points with Villanova opening as an 8.5-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 13, 2017, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
Villanova Wildcats vs. Temple Owls ATS Preview
The Wildcats defeated the La Salle Explorers in their last game, 77-68. Donte DiVincenzo was Villanova’s leading scorer with 18 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Villanova played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.529 (above their season average of 0.240) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3 (below their season average of 33.8). La Salle was 0.063 and 24.3, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Owls last matchup, they beat the Saint Joseph’s Hawks, 81-78. Quinton Rose played a key role for Temple with 15 points and 11 rebounds. The Owls had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.4 (better than their season average of 15.1) and had a better free throw rate (0.209 vs. 0.200).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the nation’s slowest-paced teams square off. Temple ranks 276th in possessions per game (68.1) and Villanova is 328th (65.9) dating back to the 2016-17 season.
Games featuring these teams have typically gone over the projected point total. Villanova games have gone over 55.6 percent of the time, while Temple games have finished over 62.5 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Wildcats have a clear advantage. They are 9-0 SU and 7-3 ATS, while the Owls are 6-2 SU and 5-3 ATS.
The Wildcats won the sole contest against the Owls last season, 78-57. The Wildcats played a nearly perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.333 and a turnover percentage of 16.0. For those same stats, the Owls recorded marks of 0.050 and 22.3, respectively.
Villanova Wildcats at Temple Owls Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Villanova, ATS Winner – Villanova, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Wildcats rank 110th in assists per game (14.5) while the Owls rank 141st in assists allowed per game (13.6).
- Villanova is 37th in the nation with 5.1 steals allowed per game while Temple is 48th with 5.3 steals allowed per game.
- Villanova ranks 14th in rebounds allowed per game (30.0) while Temple ranks 203rd (37.4).
- The Wildcats rank 16th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Owls rank 147th (3.9).
- Temple ranks 67th in three pointers attempted per game (24.5) while Villanova ranks 153rd in three pointers allowed per game (22.4).