The Harvard Crimson (5-8) will be at home in Lavietes Pavilion when they square off against the Vermont Catamounts (8-5). Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Vermont Catamounts vs. Harvard Crimson Betting Preview
In the Catamounts last outing, they were victorious over the Quinnipiac Bobcats, 80-73. Anthony Lamb was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Vermont dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.212 (matching their season average) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.0 (above their season average of 26.3). Quinnipiac put up marks of 0.143 and 24.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The Crimson are trying to rebound after their 65-55 loss to the Minnesota Golden Gophers in their last outing. Corey Johnson was Harvard’s high scorer with 12 points on 4-for-10 shooting. Minnesota did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (18-20; 90.0 percent). Harvard, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 11.8 (better than their season average of 18.4).
Second-chance points might be rare for Harvard in this battle. The Crimson are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 288th in offensive rebounding percentage at 25.4 percent. Meanwhile, Vermont ranks second in the nation at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 79.0 percent. Also, the Catamounts, who rank 37th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.291), could get to the line a ton against the Crimson, who rank 299th in opponents FTA rate (0.287).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Catamounts won the lone contest played against each other last season, 82-71. The Catamounts played a nearly perfect game. They had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 48.4 and a great turnover percentage of 9.3. For those same stats, the Crimson were 20.8 and 20.5, respectively.
Vermont Catamounts vs. Harvard Crimson Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Vermont, ATS Winner – Vermont, O/U – Over
- The Catamounts allow the 50th-fewest blocks per game (2.8) while the Crimson rank 57th (2.8).
- Vermont ranks fourth in rebounds allowed per game (29.2) while Harvard ranks 149th (35.9).
- The Crimson rank 46th in three pointers allowed per game (19.5) while the Catamounts rank 80th (20.8).
- Vermont averages 14.8 assists per game, which ranks 93rd in the nation. Harvard ranks 105th in assists allowed per game (12.9).
- The Crimson’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 3.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Catamounts have scored an average of 77.6 points per game (1.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.6 points per game (4.3 above their season average).