The Hartford Hawks (11-9, 4-2 AmEast) look to put an end to the eight-game winning streak of Vermont when they welcome the Catamounts (15-5, 5-0 AmEast) to Chase Family Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Vermont Catamounts at Hartford Hawks Odds Preview
In the Catamounts last outing, they were victorious over the New Hampshire Wildcats, 67-56. With 17 points, Ernie Duncan put together a good outing for Vermont. Vermont dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.356 (above their season average of 0.293) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.567 (below their season average of 0.574). New Hampshire was 0.173 and 0.452, respectively, for those same stats.
The Hawks hope to keep it rolling after blowing out the Maine Black Bears in their last matchup, 86-68. Hartford received a boost from J.R. Lynch, who led the team in scoring with 15 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Hartford dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.193 (above their season average of 0.193) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.658 (above their season average of 0.536). Maine was 0.108 and 0.469, respectively, for those same stats.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the nations slowest-paced teams clash. Hartford ranks 255th in possessions per game (68.4) and Vermont is 342nd (64.8). Furthermore, the Catamounts rank 18th in offensive efficiency (117.2), while the Hawks rank 259th in defensive efficiency (106.0).
Trae Bell-Haynes has been outstanding over the last five games for Vermont, averaging 16.4 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Catamounts won both contests last season. In the last contest, Vermont won 79-66. The Catamounts played a flawless game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 8.6 and a solid free throw rate of 0.315. For those same stats, the Hawks were 18.9 and 0.220, respectively.
Vermont Catamounts vs. Hartford Hawks Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Vermont, ATS Winner – Vermont, O/U – Under
- Vermont ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (28.4) while Hartford ranks 100th (33.9).
- The Catamounts rank 35th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while the Hawks rank 103rd (6.3).
- Hartford averages 24.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 74th in the NCAA. Vermont ranks 131st in three pointers allowed per game (21.7).
- The Hawks average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Catamounts have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.8 points per game (5.3 below their season average).