The NIT contest between the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (24-7) and the Vermont Catamounts (27-7) will be played at Murphy Athletic Center. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) opened at 138.5 points with Middle Tennessee set as a 6-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Vermont Catamounts at Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Odds Preview
In the Catamounts’ last game, they lost a close one to the UMBC Retrievers, 65-62. With 18 points on 5-for-8 shooting, Trae Bell-Haynes was Vermont’s high scorer. UMBC had a turnover percentage of 6.2 (better than their season average of 15.6). Vermont, meanwhile, did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (21-27; 77.8 percent).
The Blue Raiders are hoping for a better outcome after their 71-68 loss to the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in their last matchup. Nick King was Middle Tennessee’s high scorer with 17 points on 6-for-14 shooting. Southern Miss did a terrific job of making free throws (12-16; 75.0 percent). Middle Tennessee, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.594 (above their season average of 0.525).
Baskets could be hard to come by as a pair of the nation’s premier defenses clash. Middle Tennessee currently ranks 27th in defensive efficiency (97.4) and Vermont is 57th (99.4). Additionally, the Catamounts rank 257th in offensive rebounding percentage (26.6 percent), while the Blue Raiders rank ninth in defensive rebounding percentage (77.6 percent).
Games including these teams tend to finish under the O/U total. Vermont games have gone under 66.7 percent of the time, while 67.9 percent of Middle Tennessee games have finished under. Both teams have outstanding straight up (SU) records (27-7 for Vermont; 24-7 for Middle Tennessee), but the Blue Raiders have the edge against the spread (ATS). Middle Tennessee is 16-12 ATS, while the Catamounts are 4-5.
Drew Urquhart has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Vermont, averaging 15.4 points and 8.0 rebounds per game.
Vermont Catamounts vs. Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Middle Tennessee, ATS Winner – Vermont, O/U – Under
- The Blue Raiders rank 216th in three pointers attempted per game (19.7) while the Catamounts rank 249th (18.7).
- Middle Tennessee is 42nd in the nation with 11.4 assists allowed per game while Vermont is 52nd with 11.6 assists allowed per game.
- Middle Tennessee ranks 114th in rebounds per game (36.2) while Vermont ranks 244th (33.4).
- The Blue Raiders rank 127th in steals per game (6.3) while the Catamounts rank 255th (3.8).
- Middle Tennessee ranks 49th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Vermont ranks 92nd (3.1).
- The Blue Raiders’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Catamounts have scored an average of 70.0 points per game (4.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 59.6 points per game (4.7 below their season average).