The Maine Black Bears (6-24, 3-12 AmEast) and Vermont Catamounts (24-6, 14-1 AmEast) will square off at Cross Insurance Center to bring the regular season to a close. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Vermont Catamounts vs. Maine Black Bears Betting Preview
The last time the Catamounts played, they were victorious over the Stony Brook Seawolves, 69-60. Trae Bell-Haynes led Vermont in scoring with 19 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Vermont dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 29.2 (above their season average of 27.0) and a free throw rate of 0.600 (above their season average of 0.299). For those same stats, Stony Brook put up marks of 14.3 and 0.296, respectively.
The Black Bears are hoping for a better outcome after their 89-79 loss to the Albany Great Danes in their last matchup. With 22 points and six rebounds, Isaiah White played well for Maine. Albany had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 34.6). Maine, meanwhile, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.576 (above their season average of 0.466).
This contest should be a matchup of contrasting styles. Maine likes to play quickly (53rd in possessions per game), while Vermont likes to grind-it-out (340th in possessions per game).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Catamounts, it’s been Drew Urquhart, who has averaged 15.6 points, 8.4 rebounds and 2.2 blocks, while the Black Bears have gotten great contributions from Aaron Calixte (17.6 points, 4.2 assists and 1.4 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Catamounts won 83-62. The Catamounts dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.412 and a superb turnover percentage of 8.7. The Black Bears were 0.182 and 12.7, respectively, for those same stats. Bell-Haynes had a stellar game, with 18 points, five rebounds and five assists.
Vermont Catamounts vs. Maine Black Bears Free Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Maine, ATS Winner – Maine, O/U – Over
- The Catamounts rank 155th in assists per game (13.5) while the Black Bears rank 237th (11.8).
- Vermont ranks second in rebounds allowed per game (28.1) while Maine ranks 278th (38.7).
- The Black Bears rank 94th in three pointers attempted per game (23.6) while the Catamounts rank 244th (19.0).
- Maine ranks 105th in steals per game (6.4) while Vermont ranks 245th (3.8).
- The Black Bears’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 8.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Catamounts have scored an average of 72.8 points per game (1.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.0 points per game (2.9 below their season average).