The Vegas Golden Knights at the Staples Center in Game 3 of the opening round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. NBC Sports Network will broadcast the matchup, which gets underway at 10:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 15.
Vegas Golden Knights vs. Los Angeles Kings Odds
Los Angeles (-140) is currently favored over Vegas (+120), and the oddsmakers have put the Over/Under (O/U) at 5 goals. The line for betting that total stands at -105 money on the over and -115 for the under.
Vegas is 53-31 straight up (SU) and has earned 17.5 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 84 regular season contests, 42 of its games have gone over the total, while 40 have gone under and just two have pushed. The Knights are 22-19 SU on the road in 2017-18.
After sporting the 10th-best power-play unit in the regular season (finding net on 21.5 percent of all chances), the Golden Knights have been able to score on 14.3 percent of their postseason power play opportunities.
Vegas offensive skaters attempted 33.0 shots per game in the regular season, resulting in 3.3 goals per contest (ranked fourth overall in the NHL). In the postseason, the clubs risen to an average of 42.0 shots on goal (and down to 1.5 goals per game).
Boasting a .930 save percentage and 27.8 saves per game, Marc-Andre Fleury (31-17-4) has been the best option in goal for Vegas this year. If it chooses to give him a rest, however, the team may turn to Malcolm Subban (15-7-2 record, .910 save percentage, 2.68 goals against average).
The visiting Golden Knights will be led by William Karlsson and Jonathan Marchessault. Karlsson (78 points) is up to 43 goals and 35 assists, and has recorded multiple points in 19 different games. Marchessault has 27 goals and 49 assists to his credit (and has notched at least one point in 46 games).
On the other side of the ice, Los Angeles is 45-39 straight up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 1.3e-15 units this year. 44 of its outings have gone under the total, while 37 have gone over and just three have pushed. The team is 23-18 SU at home this season.
Los Angeles has converted on 20.3 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked first overall, and it’s successfully killed off 85.0 percent of all opponent power plays.
Los Angeles skaters have been penalized 3.8 times per game in total this season, and 2.8 per game over their last ten contests. The teams been forced to kill penalties just 5.9 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Jonathan Quick (27.3 saves per game) has been the top choice in goal for Los Angeles. Quick has 33 wins, 33 losses, and four OT losses to his name and has recorded a .923 save percentage and 2.35 goals against average this year.
Anze Kopitar (35 goals, 57 assists) will lead the offensive attack for the Kings.
Vegas Golden Knights vs. Los Angeles Kings Betting Predictions
NHL Tip: SU Winner – Golden Knights, O/U – Under
- The total has gone under in three of Los Angeles last five games.
- Extra-man opportunities could prove to be extremely important in the outcome of this game. The Golden Knights are 21-12 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 42-20 in games where they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes. The Kings are 18-12 when the team serves fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 31-23 in games where their penalty minutes are in the single digits.
- Los Angeles has created 3.2 takeaways per game over its last five home games, a drop-off from its season average of 4.9 takeaways per game (ranked 31st in the league).
- Vegas has created 7.4 takeaways per game over its last five road games, a drop-off from its season average of 10.5 takeaways per game (ranked second).
- Vegas might have an advantage if this one comes down to the wire. The teams an impressive 24-16 in games decided by one goal, while Los Angeles is only 14-21 in such games.