Coming into tonight’s matchup with three wins apiece in the series Vegas Golden Knights and the San Jose Sharks meet in the crucial Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals. The action gets going at 10 p.m. ET on Monday, April 30, and you can catch the game live on NBC Sports Network.
Vegas Golden Knights at San Jose Sharks Odds
San Jose heads into the contest as the favorite with a moneyline of -130. The line for Vegas sits at +110, and the Over/Under (O/U) is set at 6 goals. The odds for betting the total sit at -135 under, +115 over.
Vegas is 56-32 straight up (SU) and has netted moneyline bettors 19.3 units this season. 44 of its matches have gone over the total, while 41 have gone under and just three have pushed. As the away team this season, the Knights are 24-19 SU.
The Golden Knights offensive skaters attempted 32.7 shots per game in the regular season, leading to 3.3 goals per contest (ranked fourth overall in the NHL). In the postseason, the clubs attempting an average of 32.3 shots on goal 2.8 goals per game.
Following a regular season where they scored on 21.2 percent of all power-play chances (the 10th-best), the Golden Knights have connected on 16.7 percent of their postseason power plays. Their penalty kill has gone from 82.4 percent in the regular season to 88.0 percent in the playoffs.
Averaging 28.4 saves per game with a .933 save percentage, Marc-Andre Fleury (34-18-5) has been the best option in goal for Vegas this season. If Vegas decides to rest him, however, they may roll with Malcolm Subban (15-7-2 record, .910 save percentage, 2.68 goals against average).
William Karlsson and Jonathan Marchessault will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Golden Knights. Karlsson (85 points) has tallied 46 goals and 39 assists, and has recorded multiple points in 20 different games. Marchessault has 28 goals and 52 assists to his creditand has notched at least one point in 49 games.
San Jose is 50-38 straight up (SU) and has earned 4.8 units for moneyline bettors this season. Through 88 regular season matches, 45 of its games have gone under the total, while 40 have gone over and just three have pushed. It’s 27-16 SU as the home team this year.
The Sharks have converted on just 21.2 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked second overall, and it’s successfully killed off 84.3 percent of all opponent power plays.
Sharks skaters have been called for penalties only 3.4 times per game in total this season, and 2.2 per game over their last five at home. The team has had to kill penalties just 4.4 minutes per game over their last five home outings.
Martin Jones (26.0 saves per game) has been the primary option in goal for the Sharks. Jones has 36 wins, 30 losses, and seven OT losses to his credit and has recorded a 2.50 goals against average and a .916 save percentage this season.
The home team will be led on offense by Joe Pavelski (23 goals, 50 assists).
Vegas Golden Knights vs. San Jose Sharks Betting Predictions
Free Pick: SU Winner – Sharks, O/U – Under
- Penalties and power plays may prove to be even more critical than usual in tonight’s game. The Golden Knights are 22-12 in games where they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 43-20 when they serve fewer than 10 total penalty minutes. The Sharks are 23-21 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 38-27 when they’re in the box for less than 10 minutes.
- Vegas is 4-3 in games decided by a shootout this season while San Jose is 5-3 in shootouts.
- The total has gone over in three of San Jose’s last five outings.
- San Jose is ranked 20th this season with 10.0 giveaways per game. That figure has improved lately, however, as it’s averaged 8.0 giveaways over its last 10 games and 8.6 giveaways over its last five.
- Vegas has averaged 9.0 giveaways over its last five home games, its season average of 9.5 giveaways per game (ranked 15th in the league).