A10 foes will clash when the Saint Joseph’s Hawks (5-7, 0-1 A10) square off with the VCU Rams (9-5, 1-0 A10) at Michael J. Hagan ’85 Arena. Saint Joseph’s is a 1-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 151.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
VCU Rams vs. Saint Joseph’s Hawks Odds Preview
The Rams were victorious over the Fordham Rams in their last outing, 76-63. Justin Tillman was the top scorer from either team with 23 points on 8-for-14 shooting. VCU dominated every stat category in the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 38.7 (above their season average of 31.9) and a free throw rate of 0.196 (below their season average of 0.208). For those same stats, Fordham recorded marks of 20.0 and 0.115, respectively.
In the Hawks last matchup, they were defeated by the George Washington Colonials, 70-64. James Demery was the games leading scorer with 24 points on 9-for-16 shooting. George Washington had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (34.3 vs. 27.0). Saint Joseph’s, on the other hand, forced the Colonials into a turnover percentage of 20.0 (above their season average of 16.5).
Saint Joseph’s could have difficulty getting to the charity stripe in this showdown. The Hawks currently rank 276th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.208, while VCU ranks 36th in FTA rate allowed (0.180).
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. VCU games have gone under 60.0 percent of the time, while games including Saint Joseph’s have gone over 70.0 percent of the time. The Rams have the better straight up (SU) record (9-5 vs. 5-7) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (5-5 vs. 4-6).
Tillman has been playing at a high level over the last five games for VCU, averaging 21.8 points and 9.8 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Rams won the lone game played against each other last season, 91-81. The Rams dominated every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.456 and a turnover percentage of 15.1. For those same stats, the Hawks recorded marks of 0.368 and 17.6, respectively.
VCU Rams vs. Saint Joseph’s Hawks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – VCU, ATS Winner – VCU, O/U – Under
- The Hawks rank sixth in steals allowed per game (4.2) while the Rams rank 141st (7.1).
- VCU is 1-3 ATS on the road with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Saint Joseph’s is 1-1 ATS with 2 unders and 0 overs.
- VCU ranks 113th in three pointers attempted per game (23.0) while Saint Joseph’s ranks 263rd in three pointers allowed per game (27.7).
- The Rams average 15.6 assists per game, which ranks 67th in the NCAA. The Hawks rank 211th in assists allowed per game (15.9).
- VCU averages 37.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 112th in the nation. Saint Joseph’s ranks 249th in rebounds allowed per game (40.3).
- Saint Joseph’s is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, VCU is 1-2 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.2, up from 2.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rams have scored an average of 74.4 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.4 points per game (3.0 below their season average).