A10 foes will collide when the La Salle Explorers (6-6, 1-1 A10) square off with the VCU Rams (9-6, 1-1 A10) at Tom Gola Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
VCU Rams vs. La Salle Explorers Odds Preview
In the Rams last game, they fell to the Saint Joseph’s Hawks, 87-81. With 22 points on 11-for-16 shooting, Justin Tillman was the games high scorer. Saint Joseph’s did a great job of converting from the charity stripe (29-38; 76.3 percent). VCU, meanwhile, held the Hawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.7 (below the 29.0 mark opponents have averaged against VCU this season).
The Explorers are hoping for a better outcome after their 74-62 loss to the Rhode Island Rams in their last outing. With 14 points, seven rebounds and six assists, La Salle’s Pookie Powell put together a solid game. Rhode Island forced the Explorers into a turnover percentage of 24.2 (above their season average of 13.7). La Salle, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (14-19; 73.7 percent).
VCU could struggle to create turnovers. La Salle ranks 34th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.4 percent), while VCU forces the 208th-most turnovers (19.0 percent).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Rams, it’s been Tillman, who has averaged 22.0 points and 10.6 rebounds, while the Explorers have gotten great contributions from Powell (21.8 points and 3.6 assists).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Rams won the only contest played against each other last season, 90-52. The Rams dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.629 and a turnover percentage of 12.4. The Explorers were 0.349 and 20.9, respectively, for those same stats.
VCU Rams vs. La Salle Explorers Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – VCU, ATS Winner – VCU, O/U – Under
- The Explorers rank 123rd in steals per game (6.3) while the Rams rank 145th in steals allowed per game (7.2).
- La Salle ranks 32nd in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while VCU ranks 134th (22.1).
- The Rams average 37.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 91st in the NCAA. The Explorers rank 149th in rebounds allowed per game (35.5).
- La Salle ranks 44th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while VCU ranks 77th (3.3).
- The Explorers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.0, up from 0.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rams have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (0.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (4.5 below their season average).