A10 foes will collide when the Dayton Flyers (8-8, 2-2 A10) take on the VCU Rams (11-6, 3-1 A10) at University of Dayton Arena. Dayton is a 2-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 146.5 points. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 12, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
VCU Rams vs. Dayton Flyers Betting Preview
The Rams beat the Duquesne Dukes in their last outing, 78-67. With 10 points and 17 rebounds, Justin Tillman had a good outing for VCU. VCU dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.375 (above their season average of 0.203) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.0 (above their season average of 31.8). Duquesne was 0.092 and 21.7, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Flyers last matchup, they topped the Richmond Spiders, 87-81. Dayton’s Trey Landers played a key role with 18 points and nine rebounds. The Flyers, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.535, had a ridiculous mark of 0.702 and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6 (above their season average of 25.8).
The upper-echelon offense of Dayton (66th in the NCAA with an effective field goal percentage 0.545) will face off against the mid-tier defense of VCU (194th in effective field goal percentage allowed 0.506). The Flyers should have the edge on that end of the court.
Tillman has been playing at a high level over the last five games for VCU, averaging 19.8 points and 12.0 rebounds per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after splitting two games last season. The Flyers won the last matchup 79-72. One of Dayton’s biggest advantages was getting to the charity stripe. They made 28 trips to the line, while VCU went 24 times.
VCU Rams vs. Dayton Flyers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Dayton, ATS Winner – Dayton, O/U – Over
- The Flyers rank 35th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Rams rank 67th (3.2).
- VCU ranks 58th in rebounds per game (38.6) while Dayton ranks 252nd (32.0).
- The Flyers average 24.3 three pointers per game, which ranks 81st in the NCAA. The Rams rank 151st in three pointers allowed per game (22.6).
- VCU averages 14.9 assists per game, which ranks 82nd in the nation. Dayton ranks 144th in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- The Flyers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.6, up from 0.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rams have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (2.6 below their season average).