SEC foes will collide when the Florida Gators (8-4) square off with the Vanderbilt Commodores (5-7) at Stephen C. O’Connell Center. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 30, 2017.
Vanderbilt Commodores vs. Florida Gators Odds Preview
In the Commodores last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the Alcorn State Braves, 92-51. Jeff Roberson was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Vanderbilt played a nearly perfect game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 32.1 (above their season average of 31.3) and a turnover percentage of 9.6 (better than their season average of 16.7). For those same stats, Alcorn State put up marks of 14.3 and 18.6, respectively.
The Gators will look to maintain momentum after beating the Incarnate Word Cardinals in their last contest, 75-60. Florida received a boost from Chris Chiozza, who was the top scorer from either team with 16 points on 4-for-5 shooting. Florida played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 (below their season average of 32.6) and a turnover percentage of 14.3 (worse than their season average of 12.5). For those same stats, Incarnate Word was 11.5 and 31.5, respectively.
Florida should be expected to protect the ball well in this contest. Florida ranks 10th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 14.8 percent), while Vanderbilt forces the 26th-fewest turnovers (16.3 percent). Also, the Commodores are among the NCAA’s best at getting to the line, ranking 19th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.314). The Gators, meanhwile, rank 256th in opponents FTA rate (0.264).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. The Commodores won all three meetings played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Vanderbilt won 72-62. Vanderbilt made 11 of their 27 three pointers (40.7 percent). Florida was, meanwhile, 6-23 (26.1 percent).
Vanderbilt Commodores vs. Florida Gators ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Florida, ATS Winner – Florida, O/U – Over
- The Commodores rank 46th in three pointers allowed per game (19.2) while the Gators rank 61st (19.9).
- Florida allows the 50th-fewest blocks per game (2.8) while Vanderbilt ranks 57th (2.8).
- Florida ranks 41st in steals per game (8.0) while Vanderbilt ranks 156th (5.3).
- The Commodores average 37.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 95th in the nation. The Gators rank 175th in rebounds allowed per game (36.0).
- Vanderbilt ranks 19th in assists allowed per game (10.3) while Florida ranks 53rd (11.6).
- The Gators average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 9.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Commodores have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (4.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.0 points per game (3.3 below their season average).