The Scotiabank Saddledome will play host to a Pacific Division matchup as the Vancouver Canucks pay a visit to the Calgary Flames. The first puck drops at 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, and it’s being televised live on CBC Sports.
Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames Odds
Calgary enters the contest as the noticeable favorite with a -165 moneyline. The line for Vancouver sits at +145 and the oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals (-110 for the over, -110 for the under).
Calgary is 15-14 straight up (SU) and has lost 1.2 units for moneyline bettors thus far. That early-season winning percentage is fairly close to the 45-37 record the team managed during last years regular season campaign. Through 29 regular season matches, 14 of its games have gone over the total, while an additional 14 have gone under and just one has pushed. The team is 7-8 SU at home this year.
The Flames have converted on 20.2 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is rated 27th overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 76.6 percent of all penalties.
The Flames, as a collective unit, have been penalized 3.9 times per game overall this season, and 2.6 per game over their last five games at home. The teams had to defend opposition power plays for just 6.4 minutes per game over their last 10 outings, in total.
Averaging 29.0 saves per game with a .918 save percentage, Mike Smith (13-12-2) has been the top goalkeeper for Calgary this year. If head coach Glen Gulutzan decides to give him a breather, however, the team may roll with Eddie Lack (1-3-3 record, .813 save percentage, 5.29 goals against average).
Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan will both lead the offensive attack for the Flames. Gaudreau (37 points) has produced 12 goals and 25 assists and has recorded multiple points 12 times this year. Monahan has 17 goals and 13 assists to his credit and has recorded at least one point in 18 games.
Vancouver is 14-15 straight up (SU) and has earned 3.3 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 29 regular season contests, 15 of its games have gone under the total, while 14 have gone over and none have pushed. As a road team so far, the Canucks are 9-6 SU.
The Canucks have converted on 20.8 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked 20th overall and it’s successfully killed off 79.4 percent of all opponent power plays.
Vancouver’s players have been whistled for penalties 3.9 times per game this season, 3.4 per game over their past five outings total, and 3.4 per game over their last five road outings. The team has been forced to kill penalties just 6.6 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Jacob Markstrom (.916 save percentage and 2.44 goals against average) has been the primary option in goal for Vancouver. Markstrom is averaging 26.4 saves per game and has eight wins, 13 losses, and three overtime losses to his credit.
Leading the offensive attack for the visiting Canucks will be Brock Boeser (14 goals, 12 assists) and Bo Horvat (10 goals, 10 assists).
Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames Betting Picks
Predictions: SU Winner – Flames, O/U – Under
- Over Calgary’s last ten outings, six of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 2-4 in those games).
- The Canucks are 7-6 SU in games where they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Flames are 4-9 SU when they spend more time in the box than the opposition.
- Calgary is 2-1 in games decided by a shootout this season while Vancouver is 0-2 in shootouts.
- Calgary might have an advantage if it’s a close one late. The teams 8-4 in games decided by one goal, while Vancouver is 4-6 in such games.
- Calgary skaters have averaged 13.8 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 9.9 giveaways per game (ranked 17th in the NHL).
- Vancouver is ranked 10th this season with 8.8 giveaways per game. That figures trended higher recently, as it’s averaged 9.7 giveaways over its last 10 games and 11.0 giveaways over its last five.