MVC foes will clash when the Indiana State Sycamores (5-7) go head-to-head with the Valparaiso Crusaders (9-4) at Hulman Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 140.5 points with Indiana State set as a 1-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, December 28, 2017.
Valparaiso Crusaders at Indiana State Sycamores Betting Preview
In the Crusaders last game, they lost to the UC Riverside Highlanders, 73-60. Max Joseph put together a good game for Valparaiso, leading the team in scoring with 15 points on 5-for-9 shooting. UC Riverside did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (31-42; 73.8 percent). Valparaiso, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.9 (above their season average of 33.0).
The Sycamores are trying to rebound after their 73-68 loss to the Elon Phoenix in their last outing. With 18 points, seven rebounds and six assists, Indiana State’s Jordan Barnes put together a good performance. Elon had a free throw rate of 0.169 (above their season average of 0.163). Indiana State, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 10.9 (better than their season average of 19.1).
Indiana State might have difficulty finding the bottom of the net as they battle against one of the nation’s best defenses. Valparaiso currently ranks 25th in defensive efficiency while the Sycamores rank 268th in offensive efficiency. Also, the Crusaders rank 20th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.315), while the Sycamores rank 309th in opponents FTA rate (0.296).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Games featuring Valparaiso have finished under 70.0 percent of the time, while 70.0 percent of Indiana State games have gone over. The Crusaders come into this game with a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-4 SU and 6-4 ATS, while the Sycamores are 5-7 SU and 3-6-1 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Crusaders won the lone game played against each other last season, 89-71. The Crusaders dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 38.5 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.515. For those same stats, the Sycamores had marks of 17.1 and 0.448, respectively.
Valparaiso Crusaders vs. Indiana State Sycamores Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Valparaiso, ATS Winner – Valparaiso, O/U – Over
- The Crusaders rank 43rd in steals allowed per game (5.4) while the Sycamores rank 106th (6.6).
- Indiana State is 2-2 ATS at home, while Valparaiso is 5-3 ATS on the road.
- In 8 road games, the Crusaders have 6 unders and 2 overs.
- The Sycamores have 3 overs and 1 under in 4 home games.
- Valparaiso ranks 31st in rebounds per game (40.0) while Indiana State ranks 194th in rebounds allowed per game (37.1).
- The Crusaders rank 45th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Sycamores rank 113th (3.8).
- Indiana State averages 24.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 89th in the NCAA. Valparaiso ranks 153rd in three pointers allowed per game (22.6).
- Indiana State is 1-3 ATS with 4 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Valparaiso is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Sycamores average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.4, up from 0.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Crusaders have scored an average of 61.2 points per game (13.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 75.2 points per game (9.4 above their season average).