The Valparaiso Crusaders (12-13, 3-9 MVC) look to snap a seven-game road losing streak when they challenge the Evansville Aces (15-10, 5-7 MVC) at Ford Center. Evansville is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 133 points. Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
Valparaiso Crusaders vs. Evansville Aces ATS Preview
The Crusaders fell to the Southern Illinois Salukis in their last contest, 65-59. Valparaiso’s Markus Golder recorded 13 points, six rebounds and five assists in the contest. Southern Illinois had a free throw rate of 0.286 (above their season average of 0.226). Valparaiso, on the other hand, had an effective field goal percentage of 0.551 (above their season average of 0.500).
The last time the Aces played, they were topped by the Illinois State Redbirds, 75-71. Ryan Taylor was the games leading scorer with 32 points on 10-for-22 shooting. Illinois State had a free throw rate of 0.389 (above their season average of 0.218). Evansville, on the other hand, had a better offensive rebounding percentage (30.8 vs. 27.0).
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Evansville. Evansville ranks 312th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.4 percent), while the disruptive defense of Valparaiso forces the 59th-most turnovers in the nation (21.5 percent).
Bakari Evelyn has been exceptional over the last five games for Valparaiso, averaging 17.0 points and 2.6 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Aces won 75-65. The Aces dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.518 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 31.4. For those same stats, the Crusaders put up marks of 0.211 and 24.4, respectively. Dru Smith scored a game-high 23 points.
Valparaiso Crusaders at Evansville Aces Odds Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Evansville, ATS Winner – Evansville, O/U – Over
- The Crusaders rank 200th in three pointers attempted per game (20.0) while the Aces rank 293rd (13.8).
- Valparaiso ranks 24th in steals per game (7.9) while Evansville ranks 204th in steals allowed per game (7.7).
- The Crusaders rank 41st in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Aces rank 163rd (4.2).
- Evansville ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (30.9) while Valparaiso ranks 130th (34.3).
- The Aces average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 2.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Crusaders have scored an average of 62.4 points per game (8.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average).