The Rice Owls (7-23, 4-13 CUSA) and UTSA Roadrunners (17-13, 10-7 CUSA) will go head-to-head at Tudor Fieldhouse to close out the regular season. UTSA opened as a 1.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 150 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
UTSA Roadrunners at Rice Owls Odds Preview,
In the Roadrunners last game, they lost big to the North Texas Mean Green, 80-62. Byron Frohnen had a solid game for UTSA, putting up 10 points and nine rebounds. North Texas had an effective field goal percentage of 0.655 (above their season average of 0.512). UTSA, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (11-15; 73.3 percent).
The Owls come in on a high note after beating the UTEP Miners in their last outing, 76-70. Rice was led by Malik Osborne, who finished with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Rice dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.281 (above their season average of 0.252) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 27.6). For those same stats, UTEP was 0.092 and 23.1, respectively.
It could be a tough game for Rice on the offensive glass. The Owls are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 217th in offensive rebounding percentage at 27.8 percent. Meanwhile, UTSA ranks 50th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 74.7 percent. Also, the Roadrunners rank 307th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.200), while the Owls rank 43rd in opponents FTA rate (0.194).
Of UTSA’s 24 games with betting action, 14 have finished under the O/U total, while 13 of Rice’s 25 games have finished over the projected point total. The Roadrunners have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (17-13 vs. 7-23), but both teams are near the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 145 points, which was under the projected point total of 156.5. The Roadrunners won 79-66, covering as 12-point favorites. UTSA had a much better turnover percentage (15.4 vs. 25.0). Rice, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.294 vs. 0.210). Jhivvan Jackson scored a game-high 20 points.
UTSA Roadrunners at Rice Owls ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Rice, ATS Winner – Rice, O/U – Over
The Roadrunners rank 111th in assists allowed per game (12.9) while the Owls rank 265th (16.6).
- Rice ranks 20th in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while UTSA ranks 137th (3.6).
- UTSA is 9-6 ATS on the road, while Rice is 6-5 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 9 of the Roadrunners 15 road games, while 6 of the Owls 11 home games have gone over.
- UTSA averages 28.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 14th in the NCAA. Rice ranks 282nd in three pointers allowed per game (25.4).
- The Roadrunners average 40.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 12th in the NCAA. The Owls rank 237th in rebounds allowed per game (37.3).
- UTSA ranks 37th in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Rice ranks 191st (7.0).
- Rice is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UTSA is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Owls average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 5.2, down from 7.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Roadrunners have scored an average of 71.8 points per game (7.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.8 points per game (2.1 above their season average).