The UTSA Roadrunners (18-13, 11-7 CUSA) and the UTEP Miners (11-19, 6-12 CUSA) square off in the Conference USA Conference Tourney at Ford Center at The Star. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143.5 points with UTSA set as a 2.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
UTEP Miners vs. UTSA Roadrunners Betting Preview
The Miners barely escaped the North Texas Mean Green in their last game, 68-66. Omega Harris was the top scorer from either team with 18 points on 7-for-10 shooting. UTEP’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over North Texas. The Miners had a rate of 0.578 (above their season average of 0.500), while the Mean Green posted a mark of 0.446 (below their season average of 0.517).
In the Roadrunners’ last matchup, they thoroughly outplayed the Rice Owls, 79-60. UTSA was lifted by Deon Lyle, who was the game’s leading scorer with 33 points on 11-for-24 shooting. The Roadrunners had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.640 (above their season average of 0.514), while the Owls had a free throw rate of 0.076 (below their season average of 0.253).
It will be a matchup of opposite styles as the up-and-down Roadrunners will look to push the more methodical Miners. The Roadrunners currently rank 28th in possessions per game while the Miners are 201st. Additionally, second chance points figure to be tough to come by for the Miners. They rank 347th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 19.6 percent, while the Roadrunners are 59th-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 74.3 percent).
Of UTEP’s 25 games with betting action, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 15 of UTSA’s 25 games have finished under the projected point total. The Roadrunners hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 18-13 SU and 15-10 ATS, while the Miners are 11-19 SU and 11-14 ATS.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Roadrunners winning both. In the most recent matchup, Nick Allen put up 9 points and 13 rebounds and the Roadrunners defeated the Miners 63-59, covering as 2-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 122 points, which was 26.5 points below the projected point total of 148.5 points. The Roadrunners’ 23.1 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over the Miners, who had a mark of 11.4.
UTEP Miners vs. UTSA Roadrunners Odds Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – UTSA, ATS Winner – UTSA, O/U – Under
- The Miners rank first in blocks allowed per game (1.8) while the Roadrunners rank 144th (3.6).
- UTSA ranks 117th in steals per game (6.4) while UTEP ranks 255th (4.2).
- UTSA averages 39.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 12th in the NCAA. UTEP ranks 264th in rebounds allowed per game (38.1).
- The Roadrunners rank 12th in three pointers attempted per game (28.3) while the Miners rank 245th in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- UTSA ranks 107th in assists per game (14.2) while UTEP ranks 277th (10.6).
- UTSA is 4-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UTEP is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Roadrunners’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.4, up from 3.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Miners have scored an average of 63.6 points per game (4.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.0 points per game (2.9 below their season average).