Both the Utah Valley Wolverines (15-5, 4-0 WAC) clash against the New Mexico State Aggies (16-3, 4-0 WAC) will try to extend their winning streaks when they clash at Pan American Center. The Wolverines have won their last eight games, while the Aggies have won five games in a row. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN Full Court.
Utah Valley Wolverines at New Mexico State Aggies Free Preview
The last time the Wolverines played, they were victorious over the Texas-Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros, 84-76. With 15 points and 12 rebounds, Akolda Manyang played well for Utah Valley. The Wolverines had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.556 vs. 0.437), while the Vaqueros had a free throw rate of 0.197 (below their season average of 0.292).
The Aggies hope to keep it rolling after topping the Seattle Redhawks in their last game, 75-62. New Mexico State received a boost from Jemerrio Jones, who recorded 10 points and 11 rebounds. The Aggies had a ridiculously low turnover percentage of 7.7 (better than their season average of 15.8) and held the Redhawks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.6 (below their season average of 34.3).
Points at the line might be scarce for New Mexico State in this contest. The Aggies rank 341st in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.172, while Utah Valley ranks 76th in FTA rate allowed (0.200). Furthermore, the Wolverines 27th-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 115.7) will face off against the Aggies 14th-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 92.5).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent game, the Wolverines won 84-72. Utah Valley did a great job of getting and making free throws (21-27; 77.8 percent). New Mexico State, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (7.8 vs. 17.6).
Utah Valley Wolverines at New Mexico State Aggies Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Utah Valley, ATS Winner – Utah Valley, O/U – Under
- The Aggies rank 35th in rebounds per game (39.4) while the Wolverines rank 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.1).
- New Mexico State ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (9.4) while Utah Valley ranks 185th (14.9).
- The Aggies rank fifth in steals allowed per game (4.4) while the Wolverines rank 171st (7.7).
- New Mexico State is 17th in the NCAA with 2.3 blocks allowed per game while Utah Valley is 48th with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- The Aggies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.8, up from 10.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wolverines have scored an average of 84.8 points per game (3.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.6 points per game (6.5 below their season average).