The Utah Runnin Utes (6-2) and the Utah State Aggies (5-5) square off at Vivint Smart Home Arena. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
Utah State Aggies vs. Utah Runnin Utes Betting Preview
In the Aggies last matchup, they barely escaped the UC Irvine Anteaters, 62-59. Sam Merrill was the top scorer from either team with 13 points on 5-for-11 shooting. Utah State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 17.3) and a free throw rate of 0.224 (matching their season average). UC Irvine was 15.4 and 0.207, respectively, for those same stats.
The Runnin Utes are hoping for a better outcome after their 81-69 loss to the Butler Bulldogs in their last matchup. Donnie Tillman led Utah in scoring with 20 points on 8-for-14 shooting. Butlers free throw rate was their largest advantage over Utah. The Bulldogs had a rate of 0.236 (above their season average of 0.188), while the Runnin Utes posted a mark of 0.153 (below their season average of 0.275).
Utah figures to have the edge on the defensive side of the ball. The Runnin Utes rank 50th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.470), while Utah State is 194th in effective field goal percentage (0.524) since the 2016-17 season.
Merrill has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Utah State, averaging 19.0 points and 1.2 steals per game.
Utah State Aggies vs. Utah Runnin Utes ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Utah State, ATS Winner – Utah State, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Aggies rank 73rd in three pointers attempted per game (20.9) while the Runnin Utes rank 89th in three pointers allowed per game (20.2).
- Utah averages 5.7 steals per game, which ranks 199th in the nation. Utah State ranks 201st in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Utah ranks 121st in blocks per game (3.6) while Utah State ranks 276th (2.6).
- The Runnin Utes rank 26th in rebounds allowed per game (31.7) while the Aggies rank 180th (34.8).
- Utah ranks 81st in assists per game (14.9) while Utah State ranks 225th (14.4).