MWC foes will battle when the Nevada Wolf Pack (15-3, 4-0 MWC) go head-to-head with the Utah State Aggies (10-8, 3-2 MWC) at Lawlor Events Center. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 13, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Utah State Aggies vs. Nevada Wolf Pack ATS Preview
In the Aggies last contest, they were beaten by the Colorado State Rams, 84-75. Utah State’s Sam Merrill had a solid game, leading the team in scoring with 18 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Colorado State did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (26-33; 78.8 percent). Utah State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.5 (above their season average of 27.5).
The Wolf Pack will look to maintain momentum after defeating the Air Force Falcons in their last matchup, 86-75. With 23 points on 8-for-12 shooting, Caleb Martin was the games leading scorer. Nevada played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.236 (below their season average of 0.282) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.7 (above their season average of 27.7). Air Force was 0.164 and 30.0, respectively, for those same stats.
The high-powered offense of Nevada (18th in the nation with an offensive efficiency of 118.1) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Utah State (210th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 103.7). The Wolf Pack figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Aggies, it’s been Merrill, who has averaged 18.0 points, 4.8 assists and 1.4 steals, while the Wolf Pack have gotten great contributions from Martin (20.2 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after the Wolf Pack won two out of three meetings last season. In the last game, Nevada won 83-69. Nevada had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (30.0 vs. 21.6). Utah State, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the charity stripe (17-24; 70.8 percent).
Utah State Aggies at Nevada Wolf Pack Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Utah State, ATS Winner – Utah State, O/U – Under
- The Wolf Pack rank 60th in blocks per game (4.2) while the Aggies rank 66th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- Nevada ranks 29th in assists per game (16.9) while Utah State ranks 133rd (13.6).
- The Aggies rank 75th in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while the Wolf Pack rank 146th in three pointers allowed per game (22.5).
- Nevada ranks 18th in steals allowed per game (4.8) while Utah State ranks 79th (6.1).
- The Wolf Pack’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, down from 12.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Aggies have scored an average of 77.2 points per game (2.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 78.4 points per game (6.8 above their season average).