The Phoenix Suns (18-34) will be at home in Talking Stick Resort Arena when they square off against the Utah Jazz (22-28). Utah opened as a 5.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 210 points. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Friday, February 2, 2018.
Utah Jazz at Phoenix Suns Betting Preview
The Jazz easily got past the Golden State Warriors in their last game, 129-99. Ricky Rubio was Utah’s high scorer with 23 points on 9-for-16 shooting. The Jazz forced 19 turnovers and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.659 (above their season average of 0.515).
In the Suns last game, they topped the Dallas Mavericks, 102-88. Phoenix rallied around Marquese Chriss, who recorded 15 points and 12 rebounds. Phoenix’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Dallas. The Suns had a rate of 0.548 (above their season average of 0.496), while the Mavericks posted a mark of 0.420 (below their season average of 0.515).
It will be a showdown of conflicting styles as the up-tempo Suns (ranked third in the NBA in possessions per game) will look to push the slower-paced Jazz (24th in possessions per game).
Of Utah’s 50 games, 26 have finished under the projected point total, while 27 of Phoenix’s 52 games have finished under the projected point total. The Jazz have the better straight up (SU) record (22-28 vs. 18-34) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (26-24 vs. 25-25-2).
Derrick Favors has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Utah, averaging 10.0 points, 8.4 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to put up 185 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 204.5. The Suns won 97-88, covering as 7.5-point underdogs. The Suns dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great offensive rebounding percentage of 30.2 and a turnover percentage of 13.8. The Jazz were 15.2 and 21.4, respectively, for those same stats. T.J. Warren scored a game-high 27 points.
Utah Jazz at Phoenix Suns Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Suns, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank 10th in points off turnovers per game (17.2) while the Suns rank 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.9).
- Utah ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.6) while Phoenix ranks 11th (22.4).
- Utah ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (11.2) while Phoenix ranks 21st (13.1).
- Phoenix is 10-15-1 ATS at home, while Utah is 11-15 ATS on the road.
- The Jazz have 13 overs, 12 unders and 1 push in 26 road games.
- Of the Suns 26 home games, they have 15 unders, 10 overs and 1 push.
- Utah is 13-4 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Phoenix is 6-2.
- The Suns are 14-21 when they score more than 100 points, while the Jazz are 18-11.
- The Suns rank 11th in rebounds per game (44.3) while the Jazz rank 25th (41.2).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.3) while Phoenix ranks 29th in steals allowed per game (8.8).
- The Jazz rank third in fast break points allowed per game (9.5) while the Suns rank 29th (14.6).
- The Jazz rank 21st in points in the paint per game (42.2) while the Suns rank 24th in points allowed in the paint per game (47.2).
- Utah ranks ninth in blocks allowed per game (4.5) while Phoenix ranks 26th (5.3).
- Phoenix is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Suns average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.0, up from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 107.8 points per game (5.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 100.8 points per game (1.3 below their season average).