The Utah Jazz (13-11) travel to Chesapeake Energy Arena to challenge the Oklahoma City Thunder (10-12). The Jazz look to prolong their six-game winning streak. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 5, 2017, and it can be seen on Fox SportsNet Oklahoma.
Utah Jazz at Oklahoma City Thunder Betting Preview
In the Jazz’s last game, they dismantled the Washington Wizards, 116-69. Alec Burks was the games leading scorer with 27 points on 9-for-13 shooting. The Jazz had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.671 (above their season average of 0.522) and had an offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5 (above their season average of 20.1).
The Thunder will look to keep it rolling after edging the San Antonio Spurs in their last matchup, 90-87. Oklahoma City’s Russell Westbrook played an enormous role in the victory, collecting 22 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists on his way to his sixth triple-double this season. Oklahoma City won the rebounding battle. The Thunder had 15 offensive rebounds and 47 total rebounds, while the Spurs had eight and 39, respectively.
The ineffective offense of Oklahoma City (22nd in the NBA with an offensive efficiency of 103.4) will clash against the stingy defense of Utah (fifth in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 101.4). The Jazz should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Of Utah’s 23 games with betting action, 11 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Oklahoma City’s 22 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jazz have a sizable advantage. They are 13-11 SU and 13-10 ATS, while the Thunder are 10-12 SU and 7-14-1 ATS.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Jazz, it’s been Donovan Mitchell, who has averaged 21.8 points, 4.6 assists and 1.2 steals, while the Thunder have received solid contributions from Westbrook (28.2 points, 10.6 rebounds, 9.6 assists and 3.0 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 183 points, well under the projected point total of 200. The Jazz won 96-87, covering as 4-point underdogs. Utah had a better effective field goal percentage (0.552 vs. 0.481). Oklahoma City, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (16.4 vs. 17.8). Rudy Gobert put up a double-double in the victory with 16 points and 13 rebounds.
Utah Jazz at Oklahoma City Thunder ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Thunder, ATS Winner – Thunder, O/U – Under
- The Thunder rank first in points off turnovers per game (20.5) while the Jazz rank 13th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.8).
- Utah ranks second in assists allowed per game (18.4) while Oklahoma City ranks seventh (21.2).
- Utah ranks seventh in blocks per game (5.3) while Oklahoma City ranks 16th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks 26th in points in the paint per game (40.7) while Utah ranks 27th (40.7).
- On the road, Utah is 3-6 ATS with 5 overs, 3 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Oklahoma City is 5-5-1 ATS with 7 unders and 4 overs.
- Utah is 8-2 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Oklahoma City is 8-4.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Jazz are 11-4 and the Thunder are 8-5.
- The Thunder rank 16th in rebounds per game (42.8) while the Jazz rank 25th (40.8).
- Oklahoma City ranks sixth in fast break points per game (13.9) while Utah ranks 25th (8.5).
- The Thunder rank fifth in second chance points per game (14.0) while the Jazz rank 23rd (10.6).
- The Jazz average 30.4 three pointers per game, which ranks 12th in the league. The Thunder rank 16th in three pointers allowed per game (29.0).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.6) while Oklahoma City ranks 16th in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- Oklahoma City is 0-5 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Thunder have been outscored by an average of 4.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Oklahoma City has defeated opponents by an average of 3.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 116.6 points per game (12.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 93.8 points per game (4.9 below their season average).