A five-game home winning streak is on the line for the Boston Celtics (24-6) when they welcome the Utah Jazz (13-15) to TD Garden. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 198 points with Boston set as a 5.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 15, 2017.
Utah Jazz at Boston Celtics Odds Preview
The Jazz lost a tough one against the Chicago Bulls in their last contest, 103-100. With 32 points on 15-for-26 shooting, Donovan Mitchell was the games high scorer. Chicago had a free throw rate of 0.151 (above their season average of 0.144). Utah, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.511 vs. 0.478).
In the Celtics last matchup, they defeated the Denver Nuggets, 124-118. Boston rallied around Kyrie Irving, who led the team in scoring with 33 points on 12-for-19 shooting. Boston dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.665 (above their season average of 0.515) and a free throw rate of 0.241 (above their season average of 0.207). For those same stats, Denver recorded marks of 0.544 and 0.209, respectively.
Points could be at a premium as a pair of the NBA’s best defenses square off. Boston ranks first in defensive efficiency (100.8) and Utah is fifth (102.5).
Of Utah’s 28 games, 14 have finished over the O/U total, while 15 of Boston’s 30 games have finished over the projected point total. The Celtics hold a significant advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 24-6 SU and 20-8-2 ATS, while the Jazz are 13-15 SU and 15-13 ATS.
Mitchell has been excellent over the last five games for Utah, averaging 26.2 points, 3.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Celtics won both games last season. In the last contest, Boston won 112-104. Boston was lights out from beyond the arc (13-30; 43.3 percent). Utah, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (27.7 vs. 10.3).
Utah Jazz vs. Boston Celtics Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Celtics, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Jazz rank second in steals per game (9.5) while the Celtics rank 17th (7.7).
- Utah ranks third in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while Boston ranks seventh (26.5).
- Boston ranks third in second chance points allowed per game (10.3) while Utah ranks 10th (11.6).
- Utah allows the third-fewest fast break points per game (8.6) while Boston ranks fourth (8.6).
- Utah is 4-8 ATS on the road, while Boston is 9-4-2 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Jazz’s 12 road games, while 8 of the Celtics 15 home games have gone over.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Utah is 8-2 and Boston is 17-0.
- When scoring over 100 points, the Jazz are 11-7 and the Celtics are 17-3.
- The Jazz rank 21st in points in the paint per game (41.3) while the Celtics rank 26th (39.6).
- Utah ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (19.2) while Boston ranks 28th (13.7).
- The Celtics rank ninth in rebounds per game (44.8) while the Jazz rank 26th (40.3).
- The Jazz are second in the NBA with 18.8 assists allowed per game while the Celtics are fifth with 20.6 assists allowed per game.
- Utah ranks fifth in blocks per game (5.3) while Boston ranks 21st (4.4).
- Boston is 1-3-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Celtics have been outscored by an average of 0.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Boston has defeated opponents by an average of 5.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 102.2 points per game (0.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 100.2 points per game (0.2 above their season average).