The Atlanta Hawks (13-32) will be at home in Philips Arena when they square off with the Utah Jazz (19-27). Utah is a 2.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 205 points. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018.
Utah Jazz at Atlanta Hawks ATS Preview
The Jazz were victorious over the Los Angeles Clippers in their last game, 125-113. Donovan Mitchell led Utah in scoring with 23 points on 9-for-16 shooting. The Jazz, who came into the game averaging an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.8, had a solid mark of 28.9 and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.616 (above their season average of 0.517).
In the Hawks last matchup, they were topped by the Chicago Bulls, 113-97. With 11 points and 11 rebounds, Dewayne Dedmon put together a good game for Atlanta. Chicago did an excellent job of making free throws (19-21; 90.5 percent). Atlanta, on the other hand, held the Bulls to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.0 (below their season average of 19.9).
It could be an error-filled game for the Atlanta offense. Atlanta ranks 26th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.1 percent), while the pesky defense of Utah forces the fourth-most turnovers in the NBA (15.6 percent).
Of Utah’s 46 games, 23 have finished under the projected point total, while 23 of Atlanta’s 45 games have finished under the O/U total. The Jazz have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (19-27 vs. 13-32), but the Hawks have been superior against the spread (ATS) (24-19-2 vs. 23-23).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Jazz, it’s been Mitchell, who has averaged 25.0 points, 3.2 assists and 1.8 steals, while the Hawks have gotten great contributions from Dennis Schroder (22.0 points, 7.8 assists and 1.6 steals).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Jazz won both contests last season. In the most recent matchup, Utah won 120-95. The Jazz’s offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Hawks. Utah had a rate of 28.1, while Atlanta posted a mark of 16.7.
Utah Jazz at Atlanta Hawks Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank ninth in three pointers allowed per game (26.9) while the Hawks rank 25th (30.8).
- Utah ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.8) while Atlanta ranks 16th (44.8).
- Utah ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (9.2) while Atlanta ranks 18th (11.9).
- Utah is 9-14 ATS on the road, while Atlanta is 12-10 ATS at home.
- Of the Jazz’s 23 road games, they have 13 overs, 9 unders and 1 push.
- In 22 home games, the Hawks have 11 overs, 10 unders and 1 push.
- In games where they allow under 100 points, Utah is 10-4 and Atlanta is 6-3.
- The Hawks are 12-18 when they score above 100 points, while the Jazz are 17-11.
- The Hawks rank third in points off turnovers per game (18.6) while the Jazz rank 17th in points off turnovers allowed per game (16.6).
- Utah ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.2) while Atlanta ranks 29th (25.7).
- The Jazz rank second in steals per game (9.2) while the Hawks rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- The Jazz rank 15th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Hawks rank 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.2).
- Utah ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while Atlanta ranks 23rd (13.5).
- Atlanta is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Hawks average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 4.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 108.4 points per game (6.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 108.6 points per game (6.1 above their season average).