Expect a defensive struggle when the Utah Jazz (23-28) and San Antonio Spurs (34-20) go head-to-head at AT&T Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 195 points with San Antonio opening as a 6-point favorite. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Utah Jazz vs. San Antonio Spurs ATS Preview
In the Jazz’s last game, they dismantled the Phoenix Suns, 129-97. Donovan Mitchell was the top scorer from either team with 40 points on 14-for-19 shooting. Utah dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.7 (above their season average of 20.0) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.650 (above their season average of 0.518). Phoenix was 12.5 and 0.466, respectively, for those same stats.
The Spurs are trying to rebound after their 102-91 loss to the Houston Rockets in their last outing. Danny Green led San Antonio in scoring with 22 points on 9-for-18 shooting. Houston had a turnover percentage of 9.0 (better than their season average of 12.7). San Antonio, on the other hand, held the Rockets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.9 (below their season average of 22.0).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams square off. San Antonio ranks 29th in possessions per game (95.8) and Utah is 24th (97.3). Furthermore, second chance points could be rare for the Jazz. They rank 25th in the NBA in offensive rebounding percentage at 20.1 percent, while the Spurs are fifth-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 79.3 percent).
Of Utah’s 50 games that accepted bets, 26 have finished under the projected point total, while 31 of San Antonio’s 54 games have finished under the O/U total. The Spurs have the superior straight up (SU) record (34-20 vs. 23-28), but both teams are right around the .500 mark against the spread (ATS).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Jazz, it’s been Derrick Favors, who has averaged 12.2 points, 9.0 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 1.2 blocks, while the Spurs have received great contributions from Dejounte Murray (10.8 points, 9.2 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 1.6 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined for 189 points in that game, which was under the projected point total of 194.5. The Jazz won 100-89, covering as 2-point underdogs. The Jazz dominated every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.270 and a turnover percentage of 12.4. For those same stats, the Spurs recorded marks of 0.141 and 14.1, respectively. Rodney Hood scored a game-high 29 points.
Utah Jazz vs. San Antonio Spurs Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Spurs rank 15th in second chance points per game (12.7) while the Jazz rank 25th (10.6).
- San Antonio ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.9) while Utah ranks 10th (42.5).
- Utah ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (9.4) while San Antonio ranks 13th (11.2).
- Utah ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.5) while San Antonio ranks sixth (20.9).
- Utah is 11-15 ATS on the road, while San Antonio is 17-9-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 13 of the Jazz’s 26 road games, while 14 of the Spurs 27 home games have gone over.
- When allowing less than 100 points, San Antonio is 22-10 and Utah is 14-4.
- In games where they score over 100 points, the Jazz are 19-11 and the Spurs are 27-3.
- The Spurs rank ninth in rebounds per game (44.4) while the Jazz rank 15th in rebounds allowed per game (42.9).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.2) while San Antonio ranks 19th (7.4).
- The Jazz rank 11th in three pointers attempted per game (29.7) while the Spurs rank 27th (24.4).
- The Jazz average 17.2 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Spurs rank 12th in points off turnovers allowed per game (15.7).
- San Antonio ranks third in blocks per game (5.5) while Utah ranks 13th (4.8).
- San Antonio is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Spurs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, down from 3.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 108.6 points per game (6.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 97.6 points per game (4.4 below their season average).