The Portland Trail Blazers (31-25) will try to put an end to the eight-game winning streak of Utah when they welcome the Jazz (27-28) to Moda Center at the Rose Quarter. Action begins at 9 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 11, 2018.
Utah Jazz vs. Portland Trail Blazers Free Preview
In the Jazz’s last outing, they beat the Charlotte Hornets, 106-94. With 20 points and 11 rebounds, Utah’s Rudy Gobert had a good performance. The Jazz held the Hornets to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.6 (below their season average of 22.8) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.465 (below the 0.523 mark opponents have averaged against Utah this season).
The Trail Blazers come in on a high note after dismantling the Sacramento Kings in their last game, 118-100. With 50 points on 16-for-26 shooting, Damian Lillard was the top scorer from either team. Portland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.574 (above their season average of 0.512) and a free throw rate of 0.193 (above their season average of 0.190). Sacramento was 0.472 and 0.167, respectively, for those same stats.
Portland might struggle to score as they square off against one of the NBA’s best defenses. Utah ranks fifth in defensive efficiency while the Trail Blazers rank 15th in offensive efficiency.
Of Utah’s 55 games, 28 have finished under the projected point total, while 32 of Portland’s 56 games have finished under the O/U total. The Trail Blazers have the better straight up (SU) record (31-25 vs. 27-28), but the Jazz hold the significant advantage against the spread (ATS) (30-25 vs. 27-23-6).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 215 points, well over the projected point total of 191.5. The Jazz won 112-103, covering as 4-point favorites. The Jazz played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.344 and a turnover percentage of 11.7. The Trail Blazers had marks of 0.215 and 13.9, respectively, for those same stats. In the loss, Lillard had a double-double with 33 points and 10 rebounds.
Utah Jazz vs. Portland Trail Blazers Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Trail Blazers rank 14th in second chance points per game (12.7) while the Jazz rank 27th (10.5).
- Portland ranks fourth in points allowed in the paint per game (41.7) while Utah ranks eighth (42.4).
- Utah averages 4.8 blocks per game, which ranks 13th in the NBA. Portland ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Utah is 14-16 ATS on the road, while Portland is 11-12-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 15 of the Trail Blazers 26 home games, while 16 of the Jazz’s 30 road games have gone over.
- Portland is 17-5 when they allow less than 100 points, while Utah is 16-4.
- The Trail Blazers are 26-13 when they reach 100 points, while the Jazz are 22-11.
- The Jazz rank 23rd in assists per game (21.5) while the Trail Blazers rank 29th (19.1).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.0) while Portland ranks 27th (6.8).
- The Jazz rank ninth in points off turnovers per game (17.1) while the Trail Blazers rank 28th (14.3).
- The Jazz rank 26th in fast break points per game (9.2) while the Trail Blazers rank last (6.9).
- Portland ranks fifth in rebounds per game (45.0) while Utah ranks 22nd (41.6).
- Portland is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Trail Blazers have been outscored by an average of 4.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Portland has defeated opponents by an average of 1.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 116.0 points per game (12.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 99.8 points per game (2.1 below their season average).