The New Orleans Pelicans (28-24) will try to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Utah when they welcome the Jazz (24-28) to Smoothie King Center. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018.
Utah Jazz vs. New Orleans Pelicans ATS Preview
The Jazz beat the San Antonio Spurs in their last outing, 120-111. Ricky Rubio was the top scorer from either team with 34 points on 11-for-14 shooting. The Jazz made 30 of their 36 free throws (83.3 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.652 (above their season average of 0.521).
The last time the Pelicans played, they were defeated by the Minnesota Timberwolves, 118-107. Anthony Davis was the top scorer from either team with 38 points on 16-for-30 shooting. Minnesota held the Pelicans to an effective field goal percentage of 0.455 (below their season average of 0.549). New Orleans, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.1 (above their season average of 19.5).
Opposite styles will be on display in this matchup. New Orleans has preferred a fast-breaking style of play (second in possessions per game), while Utah has been more methodical (24th in possessions per game).
Of Utah’s 52 games, 26 have finished under the projected point total, while 31 of New Orleans’ 52 games have finished over the O/U total. The Pelicans have the significant advantage straight up (SU) (28-24 vs. 24-28), but both teams have similar against the spread (ATS) records. New Orleans is 27-25, while Utah is 28-24 ATS.
Rubio has been playing at a high level as of late for Utah, averaging 12.8 points, 7.4 assists, 6.2 rebounds and 1.4 steals over the last five games.
These two teams have already met twice this season, each winning once. Davis scored a game-high 29 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Pelicans, who were 1-point underdogs, defeated the Jazz 108-98. He also put up 15 rebounds. The two teams combined to score 206 points, which was 5.5 points below the projected point total of 211.5 points. New Orleans had a better offensive rebounding percentage (18.9 vs. 14.6). Utah, on the other hand, had a much better turnover percentage (13.3 vs. 18.6).
Utah Jazz at New Orleans Pelicans Odds Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Pelicans rank second in assists per game (26.4) while the Jazz rank 24th (21.4).
- Utah ranks ninth in points off turnovers per game (17.3) while New Orleans ranks 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.0).
- Utah ranks ninth in three pointers allowed per game (27.0) while New Orleans ranks 28th (31.2).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in blocks allowed per game (4.1) while Utah ranks ninth (4.6).
- Utah is 13-15 ATS on the road with 15 overs, 12 unders and 1 push.
- At home, New Orleans is 11-14 ATS with 18 overs and 7 unders.
- When allowing below 100 points, Utah is 14-4 and New Orleans is 8-1.
- The Pelicans are 26-17 when they score above 100 points, while the Jazz are 20-11.
- The Pelicans rank second in points in the paint per game (50.0) while the Jazz rank 21st (42.4).
- Utah ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (9.4) while New Orleans ranks 28th (14.3).
- The Jazz average 9.2 steals per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 25th in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- The Pelicans rank 17th in rebounds per game (43.2) while the Jazz rank 25th (41.3).
- Utah ranks fifth in second chance points allowed per game (11.3) while New Orleans ranks 28th (13.6).
- New Orleans is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 5-0 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pelicans have been outscored by an average of 3.0 points in their last five games. On the season, New Orleans has defeated opponents by an average of 0.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 114.6 points per game (11.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 99.0 points per game (3.2 below their season average).