The Memphis Grizzlies (18-46) will try to snap their 15-game losing streak when they square off with the Utah Jazz (35-30) at FedExForum. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 198 points with Utah set as a 9-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Utah Jazz at Memphis Grizzlies Betting Preview
The Jazz easily got past the Indiana Pacers in their last outing, 104-84. Rudy Gobert led Utah in scoring with 23 points on 10-for-14 shooting. Utah’s 0.581 effective field goal percentage was their largest strength over Indiana, who had a mark of 0.403. The Jazz’s mark was above their season average of 0.522, while the Pacers’ was below their season average of 0.531.
In the Grizzlies’ last matchup, they were blown out by the Chicago Bulls, 119-110. Dillon Brooks was the game’s leading scorer with 29 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Chicago did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (24-32; 75.0 percent). Memphis, meanwhile, forced the Bulls into a turnover percentage of 17.7 (above their season average of 11.9).
The inefficient offense of Memphis will clash against the stingy defense of Utah. The Grizzlies currently rank 27th in offensive efficiency, while the Jazz are fourth in defensive efficiency. The Jazz figure to have the edge on that side of the ball.
Of Utah’s 65 games, 35 have finished under the projected point total, while 36 of Memphis’ 64 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Jazz have a clear advantage. They are 35-30 SU and 34-31 ATS, while the Grizzlies are 18-46 SU and 27-34-3 ATS.
Gobert has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Utah, averaging 18.6 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 180 points, well under the projected point total of 199.5. The Jazz won 92-88, but were unable to cover as 6.5-point favorites. Utah did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (28-33; 84.8 percent). Memphis, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.6 vs. 18.5). Rubio was the game’s leading scorer with 29 points.
Utah Jazz vs. Memphis Grizzlies Prediction
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Jazz average 16.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 13th in the league. The Grizzlies rank 20th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.2).
- Utah ranks first in assists allowed per game (19.9) while Memphis ranks sixth (21.3).
- Utah ranks 21st in rebounds per game (42.4) while Memphis ranks 28th (40.6).
- Utah is 16-17 ATS on the road with 17 overs, 15 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Memphis is 14-18-1 ATS with 22 unders and 11 overs.
- Utah is 23-5 when they allow less than 100 points, while Memphis is 11-10.
- In games where they reach the century mark, the Grizzlies are 13-18 and the Jazz are 27-11.
- The Jazz rank third in second chance points allowed per game (10.9) while the Grizzlies rank eighth (11.4).
- Utah ranks third in fast break points allowed per game (9.6) while Memphis ranks 25th (13.9).
- The Jazz rank third in steals per game (8.7) while the Grizzlies rank 18th in steals allowed per game (7.9).
- The Grizzlies allow the second-fewest points in the paint per game (41.6) while the Jazz rank fifth (42.1).
- Utah ranks 12th in blocks per game (4.8) while Memphis ranks 24th in blocks allowed per game (5.3).
- Memphis is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 3-2 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Grizzlies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 6.4, up from 4.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 99.4 points per game (3.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 91.8 points per game (8.9 below their season average).