The Utah Jazz (14-16) look to snap the 13-game winning streak of Houston when they head to Toyota Center to take on the Rockets (24-4). Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Monday, December 18, 2017, and it can be seen on ATTSN Southwest.
Utah Jazz vs. Houston Rockets ATS Preview
The Jazz lost to the Cleveland Cavaliers in their last matchup, 109-100. Donovan Mitchell had a solid game for Utah, leading the team in scoring with 26 points on 11-for-16 shooting. Cleveland did a terrific job of making free throws (15-17; 88.2 percent). Utah, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.0 (above their season average of 20.0).
In the Rockets last game, they beat the Milwaukee Bucks, 115-111. With 31 points on 8-for-21 shooting, James Harden was the top scorer from either team. The Rockets made 34 of their 42 free throws (81.0 percent) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.533 vs. 0.512).
The aggressive Houston offense might be getting to the charity stripe a lot in this contest. The Rockets currently rank first in the league with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.242, while Utah ranks 21st in FTA rate allowed (0.209). Additionally, the Jazz, who rank 23rd in offensive rebounding percentage (20.2 percent), will battle against the Rockets, who rank second in defensive rebounding percentage (81.3 percent).
Of Utah’s 30 games, 15 have finished over the projected point total, while 14 of Houston’s 28 games have finished over the O/U total. The Rockets have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (24-4 vs. 14-16), but the Jazz have been superior against the spread (ATS) (17-13 vs. 15-12-1).
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Jazz, it’s been Mitchell, who has averaged 23.6 points, 5.0 assists and 2.2 steals, while the Rockets have received solid contributions from Chris Paul (24.6 points, 9.0 assists, 6.4 rebounds and 3.4 steals).
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Rockets winning both. In the most recent matchup, Paul recorded 18 points, 13 assists and nine rebounds and the Rockets defeated the Jazz 112-101, covering as 6-point favorites. The two teams combined to put up 213 points, which was just 1.5 points above the projected point total of 211.5 points. The Rockets offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over the Jazz. Houston had a rate of 22.2, while Utah posted a mark of 9.5.
Utah Jazz vs. Houston Rockets ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Rockets, ATS Winner – Rockets, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank second in steals per game (9.5) while the Jazz rank 17th in steals allowed per game (8.2).
- Utah ranks second in assists allowed per game (19.2) while Houston ranks 12th (21.9).
- Houston ranks 14th in rebounds per game (43.9) while Utah ranks 26th (40.7).
- Utah is 6-8 ATS on the road with 8 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Houston is 6-8-1 ATS with 8 overs and 7 unders.
- In games where they hold opponents under 100 points, Houston is 10-1 and Utah is 9-2.
- In games where they score more than 100 points, the Jazz are 12-8 and the Rockets are 24-2.
- The Jazz rank third in three pointers allowed per game (25.9) while the Rockets rank 13th (28.5).
- Utah ranks fifth in points off turnovers per game (18.9) while Houston ranks 25th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.6).
- The Jazz rank second in fast break points allowed per game (8.4) while the Rockets rank 21st (11.6).
- The Jazz rank sixth in blocks per game (5.3) while the Rockets rank 12th in blocks allowed per game (4.7).
- Utah ranks seventh in points allowed in the paint per game (41.4) while Houston ranks 25th (46.5).
- Houston is 1-3-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.0, down from 10.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 101.6 points per game (1.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 107.2 points per game (7.0 above their season average).