The Golden State Warriors (27-7), the NBA’s top shooting defense, will square off with the Utah Jazz (15-20) at ORACLE Arena. Golden State is a 12-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 205.5 points. Tip-off is set for 10:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017, and it can be seen on NBATV.
Utah Jazz at Golden State Warriors Betting Preview
The Jazz lost big to the Denver Nuggets in their last matchup, 107-83. With 20 points on 6-for-14 shooting, Derrick Favors was Utah’s leading scorer. Denver held the Jazz to an effective field goal percentage of 0.381 (below their season average of 0.523). Utah, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 6.9 (better than their season average of 13.6).
In the Warriors last matchup, they defeated the Cleveland Cavaliers, 99-92. Golden State’s Draymond Green played an enormous role in the victory, accumulating 12 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists on his way to his zeroth triple-double of the season. Golden State’s 0.524 effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Cleveland, who had a rate of 0.403. The Warriors mark was below their season average of 0.573, while the Cavaliers was below their season average of 0.561.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of Golden State. Golden State ranks 28th in the NBA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.6 percent), while the pesky defense of Utah forces the fourth-most turnovers in the NBA (15.7 percent).
There does not appear to be a trend for either of these teams in terms of going over or under the projected point total. The Warriors have the better straight up (SU) record (27-7 vs. 15-20), but the Jazz have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (18-16 vs. 16-18).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Warriors won six out of seven meetings played against each other last season. In the last contest, Golden State won 121-95. Golden State made 11 of their 26 three pointers (42.3 percent), while Utah was 8-27 (29.6 percent).
Utah Jazz at Golden State Warriors Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Warriors, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Jazz rank seventh in second chance points allowed per game (11.1) while the Warriors rank 27th (13.6).
- Golden State ranks first in blocks per game (8.6) while Utah ranks 14th (4.8).
- Golden State ranks seventh in rebounds per game (44.9) while Utah ranks 26th (40.3).
- Utah averages 30.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Golden State ranks 19th in three pointers allowed per game (29.6).
- On the road, Utah is 6-10 ATS with 9 overs, 6 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Golden State is 8-9 ATS with 10 unders and 7 overs.
- When holding opponents under 100 points, Golden State and Utah are both 10-2.
- The Jazz are 13-8 when they reach 100 points, while the Warriors are 24-4.
- The Warriors rank 11th in points in the paint per game (45.2) while the Jazz rank 25th (40.7).
- Golden State ranks first in fast break points per game (21.8) while Utah ranks 26th (8.3).
- The Jazz average 9.1 steals per game, which ranks third in the NBA. The Warriors rank 27th in steals allowed per game (8.9).
- The Jazz rank 11th in points off turnovers per game (17.4) while the Warriors rank 24th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- Golden State ranks first in assists per game (30.0) while Utah ranks 23rd (21.1).
- Golden State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Warriors average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.8, down from 9.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 90.0 points per game (11.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.2 points per game (4.3 above their season average).