The Detroit Pistons (22-23), who are currently riding a five-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Utah Jazz (19-28) to Little Caesars Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 201 points with Detroit set as a 2.5-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Detroit.
Utah Jazz at Detroit Pistons Betting Preview
The Jazz lost to the Atlanta Hawks in their last matchup, 104-90. Rudy Gobert put together a solid game for Utah, contributing six points and 10 rebounds. Atlanta had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (23.8 vs. 17.1). Utah, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (20-28; 71.4 percent).
In the Pistons last game, they were topped by the Brooklyn Nets, 101-100. Tobias Harris was Detroit’s high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-18 shooting. Brooklyn was lights out from beyond the arc (13-31; 41.9 percent). Detroit, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 5.8 (better than their season average of 12.4).
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NBA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Detroit ranks 23rd in possessions per game (97.5) and Utah is 27th (96.9).
Of Utah’s 47 games, 24 have finished under the projected point total, while 26 of Detroit’s 45 games have finished under the projected point total. The Pistons have the better straight up (SU) record (22-23 vs. 19-28) and a slight edge against the spread (ATS) (24-19-2 vs. 23-24).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Jazz won both games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Utah won 97-83. Utah’s free throw rate was their largest advantage over Detroit. The Jazz had a rate of 0.156, while the Pistons posted a mark of 0.093.
Utah Jazz vs. Detroit Pistons Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Pistons, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Over
- The Jazz rank 17th in blocks per game (4.7) while the Pistons rank last (3.6).
- Detroit ranks 21st in rebounds per game (42.0) while Utah ranks 26th (41.0).
- Detroit ranks fourth in points off turnovers allowed per game (14.5) while Utah ranks 15th (16.7).
- Utah is 9-15 ATS on the road with 13 overs, 10 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Detroit is 10-10-1 ATS with 11 unders and 10 overs.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Detroit is 12-5 and Utah is 10-4.
- The Pistons are 19-10 when they reach 100 points, while the Jazz are 17-11.
- The Pistons rank 17th in fast break points per game (10.1) while the Jazz rank 26th (8.9).
- Utah ranks fourth in assists allowed per game (20.3) while Detroit ranks 25th (24.4).
- The Pistons rank ninth in second chance points per game (13.3) while the Jazz rank 25th (10.5).
- The Jazz rank 10th in three pointers attempted per game (29.9) while the Pistons rank 12th in three pointers allowed per game (28.3).
- Utah ranks second in steals per game (9.1) while Detroit ranks 16th (7.8).
- Detroit is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Pistons have been outscored by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. For the season, Detroit has defeated opponents by an average of 0.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 108.8 points per game (7.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 109.6 points per game (7.1 above their season average).