Northwest Division foes will collide when the Denver Nuggets (18-15) go head-to-head against the Utah Jazz (15-19) at Pepsi Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 205.5 points with Denver set as a 6-point favorite. Action starts at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 26, 2017.
Utah Jazz at Denver Nuggets Odds Preview
In the Jazz’s last matchup, they were beaten by the Oklahoma City Thunder, 103-89. With 29 points on 12-for-16 shooting, Donovan Mitchell was the games high scorer. Oklahoma City had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6 (above their season average of 27.2). Utah, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of converting from the free throw line (17-20; 85.0 percent).
The Nuggets hope to keep it rolling after topping the Golden State Warriors in their last matchup, 96-81. Nikola Jokic was a key piece for Denver with 18 points and nine rebounds. The Nuggets held the Warriors to an effective field goal percentage of 0.404 (below their season average of 0.578) and had a better offensive rebounding percentage (27.0 vs. 23.9).
It could be an error-filled game for the Denver offense. Denver ranks 27th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.5 percent), while the gambling defense of Utah forces the third-most turnovers in the league (15.9 percent).
Of Utah’s 34 games, 17 have finished under the O/U total, while 18 of Denver’s 33 games have finished under the O/U total. The Nuggets hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (18-15 vs. 15-19), but the Jazz have been superior against the spread (ATS) (18-16 vs. 15-17-1).
Trey Lyles has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Denver, averaging 13.6 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.
These two teams have already met twice this season, with the Jazz winning both. In the most recent matchup, Derrick Favors scored a game-high 24 points and the Jazz, who were 1-point underdogs, defeated the Nuggets 106-77. He also put up nine rebounds and five assists. The two teams combined for 183 points, which was 22.5 points below the projected point total of 205.5 points. Utah had a much better turnover percentage (10.8 vs. 16.7). Denver, meanwhile, did a fantastic job of making free throws (14-16; 87.5 percent).
Utah Jazz at Denver Nuggets Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jazz, ATS Winner – Jazz, O/U – Under
- The Jazz average 17.6 points off turnovers per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. The Nuggets rank last in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.8).
- Utah ranks second in assists allowed per game (19.3) while Denver ranks 21st (23.8).
- Denver ranks fifth in fast break points per game (14.3) while Utah ranks 25th (8.5).
- Utah averages 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the NBA. Denver ranks 14th in blocks allowed per game (4.8).
- On the road, Utah is 6-10 ATS with 9 overs, 6 unders and 1 push.
- At home, Denver is 8-6 ATS with 7 overs and 7 unders.
- Utah is 10-2 when they hold opponents under 100 points, while Denver is 9-2.
- The Jazz are 13-8 when they score over 100 points, while the Nuggets are 15-9.
- The Nuggets rank sixth in rebounds per game (45.1) while the Jazz rank 26th (40.3).
- Denver ranks first in second chance points per game (15.6) while Utah ranks 23rd (10.7).
- The Nuggets rank third in points in the paint per game (48.9) while the Jazz rank 24th (40.9).
- The Jazz rank 12th in three pointers attempted per game (29.9) while the Nuggets rank 16th in three pointers allowed per game (28.7).
- Utah averages 9.1 steals per game, which ranks third in the NBA. Denver ranks 23rd in steals allowed per game (8.4).
- Denver is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Utah is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Nuggets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.8, up from 1.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jazz have scored an average of 93.4 points per game (8.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 105.6 points per game (4.9 above their season average).