SBC foes will clash when the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (6-7) square off with the UT Arlington Mavericks (9-4) at HTC Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 150.5 points with UT Arlington opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
UT Arlington Mavericks at Coastal Carolina Chanticleers ATS Preview
The Mavericks had no trouble getting past the Cal Poly Mustangs in their last matchup, 77-56. Kevin Hervey was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 10-for-18 shooting. UT Arlington dominated every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 16.9 (better than their season average of 18.1) and a free throw rate of 0.267 (above their season average of 0.203). For those same stats, Cal Poly was 23.3 and 0.200, respectively.
In the Chanticleers last matchup, they were thoroughly outplayed by the Charleston Cougars, 67-65. Zac Cuthbertson was Coastal Carolina’s high scorer with 19 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Charleston had a better turnover percentage (18.1 vs. 20.3). Coastal Carolina, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (22-27; 81.5 percent).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Coastal Carolina. Coastal Carolina ranks 276th in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.0 percent), while the pesky defense of UT Arlington forces the 72nd-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.1 percent).
Of UT Arlington’s 10 games that accepted bets, five have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Coastal Carolina’s 7 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Mavericks have a clear advantage. They are 9-4 SU and 7-3 ATS, while the Chanticleers are 6-7 SU and 4-2-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Mavericks won two out of three games last season. In the last matchup, UT Arlington won 74-51. The Mavericks dominated every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.214 and a turnover percentage of 14.9. For those same stats, the Chanticleers were 0.127 and 22.5, respectively.
UT Arlington Mavericks at Coastal Carolina Chanticleers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UT Arlington, ATS Winner – UT Arlington, O/U – Over
- The Mavericks average 23.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 105th in the NCAA. The Chanticleers rank 191st in three pointers allowed per game (24.1).
- UT Arlington is seventh in the nation with 2.1 blocks allowed per game while Coastal Carolina is 41st with 2.6 blocks allowed per game.
- UT Arlington is 5-1 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 2 unders.
- Coastal Carolina is 1-1-1 ATS at home with 2 overs and 1 under.
- Coastal Carolina ranks 32nd in rebounds per game (40.2) while UT Arlington ranks 143rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.2).
- The Mavericks average 17.5 assists per game, which ranks 30th in the NCAA. The Chanticleers rank 137th in assists allowed per game (13.6).
- UT Arlington ranks 41st in steals per game (8.0) while Coastal Carolina ranks 138th (5.8).
- Coastal Carolina is 2-0-1 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UT Arlington is 3-0 ATS with 2 unders and 1 over.
- The Chanticleers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 6.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 76.0 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.6 points per game (1.8 above their season average).