The UT Arlington Mavericks (9-5, 0-1 SBC) head to Appalachian State to take on the Mountaineers (6-8, 1-0 SBC) in what should be a fast-paced game. UT Arlington is a 5-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 156.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, December 31, 2017.
UT Arlington Mavericks at Appalachian State Mountaineers ATS Preview
In the Mavericks last matchup, they got blown out by the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, 90-65. UT Arlington’s Johnny Hamilton had a good game, recording 13 points and nine rebounds. Coastal Carolina launched 26 three pointers, making 11 of them (42.3 percent). UT Arlington, on the other hand, was 5-22 (22.7 percent).
The Mountaineers hope to maintain momentum after beating the Texas State Bobcats in their last matchup, 66-62. Appalachian State rallied around Ronshad Shabazz, who was the games leading scorer with 20 points on 6-for-16 shooting. Appalachian State dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.0 (below their season average of 33.1) and a turnover percentage of 13.6 (better than their season average of 17.0). For those same stats, Texas State was 22.6 and 14.3, respectively.
There should be plenty of transition offense in this meeting that showcases two of the NCAA’s more fast-paced teams. Appalachian State ranks 37th in possessions per game (74.5) and UT Arlington is 54th (73.8).
Of UT Arlington’s 11 games that accepted bets, six have finished over the projected point total, while 6 of Appalachian State’s 11 games have finished under the projected point total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Mavericks have a significant advantage. They are 9-5 SU and 7-4 ATS, while the Mountaineers are 6-8 SU and 5-6 ATS.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Mavericks won both contests played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, UT Arlington won 83-67. The Mavericks dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.6 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 32.5. For those same stats, the Mountaineers were 19.9 and 21.1, respectively.
UT Arlington Mavericks vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UT Arlington, ATS Winner – UT Arlington, O/U – Over
- The Mavericks rank 34th in assists per game (17.1) while the Mountaineers rank 132nd (13.9).
- UT Arlington ranks 13th in blocks allowed per game (2.1) while Appalachian State ranks 79th (3.2).
- UT Arlington is 5-2 ATS on the road with 5 overs and 2 unders.
- Appalachian State is 2-1 ATS at home with 2 unders and 1 over.
- Appalachian State averages 27.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 21st in the nation. UT Arlington ranks 245th in three pointers allowed per game (26.4).
- The Mountaineers rank 15th in rebounds per game (41.2) while the Mavericks rank 140th in rebounds allowed per game (35.6).
- UT Arlington averages 7.8 steals per game, which ranks 45th in the NCAA. Appalachian State ranks 168th in steals allowed per game (7.6).
- Appalachian State is 1-3 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UT Arlington is 2-1 ATS with 2 overs and 1 under.
- The Mountaineers have been outscored by an average of 9.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Appalachian State has defeated opponents by an average of 6.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Mavericks have scored an average of 77.4 points per game (0.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 77.2 points per game (6.0 above their season average).