The Winthrop Eagles (12-7, 6-0 BigSou) and the USC Upstate Spartans (7-12, 2-4 BigSou) face off at Winthrop Coliseum. The Eagles will attempt to continue their eight-game winning streak. The game gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, January 23, 2020.
USC Upstate Spartans at Winthrop Eagles Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Eagles beat the Radford Highlanders, 61-56, while the Spartans fell to the High Point Panthers, 70-62.
Winthrop played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.193 (matching their season average) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.439 (below their season average of 0.536). Radford put up marks of 0.125 and 0.375, respectively, for those same stats. USC Upstate, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (16.1 vs. 16.4). D.J. Burns played a key role for Winthrop with 19 points and eight rebounds. Everette Hammond played well for USC Upstate, finishing with 20 points and five rebounds.
The Eagles won the lone contest between these two teams last year, 82-72. Winthrop out-rebounded USC Upstate. The Eagles had 11 offensive rebounds and 47 total rebounds, while the Spartans had five and 34, respectively. This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Winthrop could have their way on the offensive side of the ball as their high-octane offense goes up against one of the NCAA’s worst defenses. The Eagles currently rank 44th in offensive efficiency, while USC Upstate ranks 319th in defensive efficiency.
USC Upstate Spartans vs. Winthrop Eagles Odds Pick
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Winthrop, ATS Winner – Winthrop, O/U – Under
- Winthrop ranks 11th in rebounds per game (41.4) while USC Upstate ranks 233rd (33.5).
- The Eagles rank 21st in assists per game (16.3) while the Spartans rank 197th (11.6).
- Winthrop ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (27.5) while USC Upstate ranks 159th (21.7).
- The Eagles’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.4, up from 9.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 68.8 points per game (0.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (4.7 below their season average).