The USC Upstate Spartans (3-9), who are currently on a five-game losing streak, will attempt to get back in the win column when they visit Pete Mathews Coliseum to square off against the Jacksonville State Gamecocks (6-3). Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 16, 2017.
USC Upstate Spartans at Jacksonville State Gamecocks Betting Preview
The last time the Spartans played, they fell to the Denver Pioneers, 84-69. Deion Holmes put together a solid performance for USC Upstate, leading both teams in scoring with 24 points on 8-for-19 shooting. Denver had an effective field goal percentage of 0.750 (above their season average of 0.509). USC Upstate, meanwhile, held the Pioneers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 33.0).
The Gamecocks are hoping for a better outcome after their 70-69 loss to the Oregon State Beavers in their last game. Malcolm Drumwright was the top scorer from either team with 20 points on 7-for-17 shooting. Oregon State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.609 (above their season average of 0.533). Jacksonville State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.4 (above their season average of 31.9).
The high-powered offense of Jacksonville State will go head-to-head against the porous defense of USC Upstate. Dating back to last season, the Gamecocks rank 39th in offensive efficiency, while the Spartans are 344th in defensive efficiency. The Gamecocks figure to have the advantage on that end of the court.
The Gamecocks won the sole contest against the Spartans last season, 67-66. The Gamecocks 10.8 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Spartans, who had a rate of 18.4.
USC Upstate Spartans vs. Jacksonville State Gamecocks Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jacksonville State, ATS Winner – Jacksonville State, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Gamecocks rank 27th in blocks per game (4.1) while the Spartans rank 198th (2.9).
- USC Upstate averages 5.8 steals per game, which ranks 67th in the nation. Jacksonville State ranks 70th in steals allowed per game (6.0).
- USC Upstate averages 26.6 three pointers per game, which ranks fifth in the NCAA. Jacksonville State ranks 232nd in three pointers allowed per game (21.4).
- The Gamecocks rank 39th in rebounds per game (36.4) while the Spartans rank 263rd (36.7).
- Jacksonville State ranks 48th in assists per game (14.5) while USC Upstate ranks 247th in assists allowed per game (16.8).