The USC Upstate Spartans (6-16, 1-4 Asun) can put an end to a 13-game road losing streak when they meet the Lipscomb Bisons (12-8, 2-3 Asun) at Allen Arena. Action gets underway at 7:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
USC Upstate Spartans vs. Lipscomb Bisons Free Preview
The Spartans got blown out by the North Florida Ospreys in their last outing, 100-80. Malik Moore had a solid game for USC Upstate, contributing 13 points, 11 rebounds and six assists. North Florida did a great job of converting from the free throw line (22-25; 88.0 percent). USC Upstate, on the other hand, forced the Ospreys into a turnover percentage of 18.2 (above the 15.2 mark opponents have averaged against USC Upstate this season).
In the Bisons last matchup, they beat the Stetson Hatters, 85-82. Lipscomb rallied around Eli Pepper, who contributed seven points and 14 rebounds. The Bisons had a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 35.1 (above their season average of 28.2), while the Hatters had a free throw rate of 0.206 (below the 0.278 mark opponents have averaged against Lipscomb this season).
This game should be a battle of conflicting paces. Lipscomb prefers an up-tempo style of play (seventh in possessions per game), while USC Upstate is methodical (187th in possessions per game). Additionally, the Spartans, who rank 267th in offensive rebounding percentage (26.2 percent), could have a tough time getting second chance points against the Bisons, who rank 14th in defensive rebounding percentage (76.8 percent).
Garrison Mathews has really been playing well over the last five games for Lipscomb, averaging 28.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Bisons won both contests last season. In the last game, Lipscomb won 92-80. The Bisons played a perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.344 and a turnover percentage of 16.5. For those same stats, the Spartans were 0.206 and 18.2, respectively.
USC Upstate Spartans vs. Lipscomb Bisons Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lipscomb, ATS Winner – Lipscomb, O/U – Under
- The Bisons average 25.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 46th in the NCAA. The Spartans rank 166th in three pointers allowed per game (22.7).
- USC Upstate ranks 24th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while Lipscomb ranks 112th (6.5).
- Lipscomb ranks 32nd in rebounds per game (39.6) while USC Upstate ranks 270th (31.8).
- The Bisons average 14.5 assists per game, which ranks 99th in the NCAA. The Spartans rank 250th in assists allowed per game (19.0).
- USC Upstate ranks 20th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Lipscomb ranks 167th (4.7).
- The Bisons have been outscored by an average of 2.2 points in their last five games. For the season, Lipscomb has defeated opponents by an average of 2.4 points.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 77.0 points per game (3.5 above their season average) and allowed an average of 89.0 points per game (6.4 above their season average).