The USC Upstate Spartans (3-8) look to end a seven-game road losing streak when they take on the Denver Pioneers (4-5) at Magness Arena. Action starts at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017.
USC Upstate Spartans at Denver Pioneers Betting Preview
The last time the Spartans played, they lost big to the Kansas State Wildcats, 86-49. With 16 points on 5-for-12 shooting, Malik Moore was USC Upstate’s leading scorer. Converting at the free throw line was one of Kansas State’s biggest strengths. They were 14-16 (87.5 percent), while the Spartans were just 3-4 (75.0 percent).
The Pioneers hope to maintain momentum after barely hanging on to beat the San Jose State Spartans in their last outing, 58-56. Denver’s Jake Pemberton was a key piece with 20 points. The Pioneers had a solid free throw rate of 0.296 (above their season average of 0.291) and had a turnover percentage of 14.6 (better than their season average of 22.3).
The sharp-shooting offense of Denver will clash against the porous defense of USC Upstate. Dating back to last season, the Pioneers offense ranks 59th in effective field goal percentage (0.539), while the USC Upstate defense ranks 344th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.514). The Pioneers figure to have the edge on that end of the court. Moreover, the Spartans, who rank 316th in offensive rebounding percentage (30.3 percent), will face off against the Pioneers, who rank 32nd in defensive rebounding percentage (75.2 percent).
USC Upstate Spartans at Denver Pioneers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – USC Upstate, ATS Winner – USC Upstate, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Spartans rank 72nd in steals per game (5.8) while the Pioneers rank 269th (4.8).
- USC Upstate ranks 18th in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while Denver ranks 129th (3.4).
- USC Upstate ranks sixth in three pointers attempted per game (26.3) while Denver ranks 258th (18.6).
- The Pioneers rank 22nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.4) while the Spartans rank 274th (37.0).
- Denver ranks 54th in assists allowed per game (11.6) while USC Upstate ranks 305th (16.6).