The USC Trojans (17-6, 8-2 Pac-12) visit Pauley Pavilion to take on the UCLA Bruins (15-7, 6-4 Pac-12). The Trojans look to extend their six-game winning streak. Action gets underway at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
USC Trojans at UCLA Bruins Odds Preview
In the Trojans last matchup, they easily got past the California Golden Bears, 77-59. With nine points, 10 assists and five rebounds, Jordan McLaughlin had a solid game for USC. The Trojans forced 20 turnovers and held the Golden Bears to an effective field goal percentage of 0.421 (below the 0.509 mark opponents have averaged against USC this season).
The Bruins hope to keep it rolling after defeating the Stanford Cardinal in their last matchup, 89-73. Thomas Welsh fueled UCLA with 13 points and 10 rebounds. UCLA played a nearly flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.434 (above their season average of 0.292) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.623 (above their season average of 0.533). For those same stats, Stanford had marks of 0.148 and 0.525, respectively.
It might turn into a shootout as two of the nations top offenses go head-to-head. UCLA currently ranks 44th with 113.3 points per 100 possessions and USC is 30th (114.2). The Trojans should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 21st at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.7 percent), while the Bruins force the 21st-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 16.0 percent).
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Bruins won two out of three meetings last season. In the last game, UCLA won 76-74. UCLA had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (31.4 vs. 21.4). USC, meanwhile, had a much better free throw rate (0.274 vs. 0.162).
USC Trojans vs. UCLA Bruins ATS Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – USC, ATS Winner – USC, O/U – Over
- The Trojans rank 23rd in steals allowed per game (5.0) while the Bruins rank 86th (5.9).
- UCLA ranks ninth in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while USC ranks 66th (3.0).
- USC averages 16.5 assists per game, which ranks 37th in the NCAA. UCLA ranks 169th in assists allowed per game (14.0).
- The Trojans average 22.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 140th in the NCAA. The Bruins rank 233rd in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- UCLA ranks 41st in rebounds per game (38.9) while USC ranks 132nd (36.0).
- The Bruins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 7.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Trojans have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (4.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (5.6 below their season average).