Pac-12 foes will clash when the Stanford Cardinal (7-8, 1-1 Pac-12) go head-to-head with the No. 25 USC Trojans (9-5, 2-1 Pac-12) at Maples Pavilion. USC is a 3.5-point favorite on the opening line, while the games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 152.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018.
USC Trojans vs. Stanford Cardinal Betting Preview
In the Trojans last contest, they dismantled the California Golden Bears, 80-62. Nick Rakocevic was the top scorer from either team with 19 points on 8-for-11 shooting. USC dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 12.9 (better than their season average of 14.0) and a free throw rate of 0.215 (matching their season average). For those same stats, California had marks of 25.8 and 0.155, respectively.
The Cardinal will look to maintain momentum after topping the UCLA Bruins in their last contest, 107-99. Stanford received a boost from Dorian Pickens, who led the team in scoring with 26 points on 8-for-18 shooting. Stanford dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.2 (below their season average of 31.3) and a free throw rate of 0.297 (matching their season average). For those same stats, UCLA was 20.8 and 0.247, respectively.
A focal point for the Stanford offense is getting to the free throw line. The Cardinal rank 19th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.306), but USC is among the best in the NCAA at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking 42nd by yielding a FTA rate of 0.183). The Trojans should have an advantage in terms of ball security. They rank 27th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.2 percent), while the Cardinal force the 26th-fewest turnovers in the nation (opponents turnover percentage of 16.2 percent).
Of USC’s 15 games, eight have finished over the O/U total, while 9 of Stanford’s 15 games have finished under the O/U total. The Trojans hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 9-5 SU and 10-6 ATS, while the Cardinal are 7-8 SU and 4-10-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Trojans won the only game last season, 72-56. The Trojans dominated every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.281 and a great offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3. For those same stats, the Cardinal had marks of 0.218 and 21.6, respectively.
USC Trojans vs. Stanford Cardinal Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – USC, ATS Winner – USC, O/U – Over
- The Trojans average 22.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 121st in the NCAA. The Cardinal rank 184th in three pointers allowed per game (23.5).
- USC averages 39.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 50th in the NCAA. Stanford ranks 99th in rebounds allowed per game (34.0).
- USC is 6-1 ATS on the road, while Stanford is 4-6-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone under in 6 of the Cardinal’s 11 home games, while 4 of the Trojans 7 road games have gone over.
- USC ranks 36th in assists per game (16.8) while Stanford ranks 158th (13.4).
- The Trojans rank 48th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while the Cardinal rank 146th (7.2).
- USC ranks 39th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Stanford ranks 117th (3.8).
- Stanford is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, USC is 4-1 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Cardinal have outscored opponents by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Stanford has lost by an average of 0.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Trojans have scored an average of 85.4 points per game (3.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 75.4 points per game (3.0 above their season average).