MWC foes will collide when the San Diego State Aztecs (14-10, 6-7 MWC) go head-to-head against the UNLV Runnin’ Rebels (19-7, 8-5 MWC) at Viejas Arena at Aztec Bowl. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
UNLV Runnin’ Rebels vs. San Diego State Aztecs Free Preview
The last time the Runnin’ Rebels played, they defeated the Air Force Falcons, 81-73. With 10 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks, Brandon McCoy played well for UNLV. UNLV played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.393 (above their season average of 0.301) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 52.8 (above their season average of 33.7). For those same stats, Air Force was 0.125 and 19.5, respectively.
The Aztecs hope to maintain momentum after beating the Wyoming Cowboys in their last matchup, 87-77. San Diego State was lifted by Jalen McDaniels, who put up 16 points. The Aztecs had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 38.7 (above their season average of 33.6) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.597 (above their season average of 0.516).
Expect San Diego State to own the offensive glass in this contest. The Aztecs are among the nations elite on the offensive glass, ranking 51st in offensive rebounding percentage at 33.8 percent. Meanwhile, UNLV ranks 268th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 69.3 percent.
These teams have already met once this season. The Runnin’ Rebels won 88-78. The Runnin’ Rebels dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.276 and an extraordinary effective field goal percentage of 0.621. For those same stats, the Aztecs were 0.132 and 0.507, respectively. Shakur Juiston put up a double-double in the victory with 21 points and 11 rebounds.
UNLV Runnin’ Rebels vs. San Diego State Aztecs Betting Prediction
Free Basketball Tip: SU Winner – San Diego State, ATS Winner – San Diego State, O/U – Over
- The Runnin’ Rebels rank 34th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Aztecs rank 123rd (3.3).
- San Diego State ranks 116th in steals per game (6.3) while UNLV ranks 134th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- San Diego State ranks 142nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.0) while UNLV ranks 288th (16.9).
- The Runnin’ Rebels average 16.7 assists per game, which ranks 28th in the nation. The Aztecs rank 156th in assists allowed per game (13.8).
- San Diego State ranks 49th in rebounds per game (38.4) while UNLV ranks 160th in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- The Aztecs have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. For the season, San Diego State has defeated opponents by an average of 8.2 points.
- During their last five games, the Runnin’ Rebels have scored an average of 83.8 points per game (2.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.2 points per game (0.6 above their season average).