MVC foes will collide when the Southern Illinois Salukis (11-9, 3-4 MVC) go head-to-head with the UNI Panthers (10-9, 2-5 MVC) at SIU Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 125 points with neither team favored. Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21, 2018.
UNI Panthers at Southern Illinois Salukis ATS Preview
In the Panthers last outing, they were victorious over the Drake Bulldogs, 68-54. With 16 points and 10 rebounds, Tywhon Pickford played well for UNI. UNI played a nearly flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.235 (above their season average of 0.205) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.2 (below their season average of 24.5). For those same stats, Drake recorded marks of 0.077 and 6.5, respectively.
The Salukis are hoping for a better outcome after their 79-65 loss to the Loyola Chicago Ramblers in their last matchup. Sean Lloyd led Southern Illinois in scoring with 21 points on 8-for-15 shooting. Loyola Chicago did a great job of converting from the free throw line (19-27; 70.4 percent). Southern Illinois, meanwhile, forced the Ramblers into a turnover percentage of 25.0 (above their season average of 18.4).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the nations slowest-paced teams face off. Southern Illinois currently ranks 284th in possessions per game (67.9) and UNI is 333rd (65.8).
Of UNI’s 15 games that accepted bets, eight have finished under the O/U total, while 8 of Southern Illinois 15 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (10-9 for UNI; 11-9 for Southern Illinois), but the Panthers have the advantage against the spread (ATS). UNI is 5-9-1 ATS, while the Salukis are 4-10-1.
Both teams have had a player heat up over their last five games. For the Panthers, it’s been Pickford, who has averaged 16.4 points and 9.0 rebounds, while the Salukis have received great contributions from Armon Fletcher (19.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 1.6 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 109 points in that game, which was well under the projected point total of 129. The Salukis won 56-53, covering as 9-point underdogs. Southern Illinois launched 21 three pointers, making nine of them (42.9 percent), while UNI was 5-20 (25.0 percent). Kavion Pippen was the games top overall scorer with 14 points.
UNI Panthers vs. Southern Illinois Salukis Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UNI, ATS Winner – UNI, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 162nd in three pointers attempted per game (21.5) while the Salukis rank 230th (18.6).
- Southern Illinois ranks 53rd in steals per game (7.3) while UNI ranks 107th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- UNI is 2-5-1 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 4 unders.
- At home, Southern Illinois is 2-4 ATS with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Southern Illinois ranks 99th in assists per game (14.5) while UNI ranks 236th (11.1).
- The Panthers rank 136th in rebounds per game (36.1) while the Salukis rank 231st (33.5).
- Southern Illinois ranks 23rd in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while UNI ranks 106th (3.7).
- Southern Illinois is 0-4-1 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UNI is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Salukis have been outscored by an average of 5.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Southern Illinois has defeated opponents by an average of 1.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Panthers have scored an average of 64.2 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 63.4 points per game (1.8 above their season average).